Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Buying a game (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91549)

galic 09-07-2004 05:36 PM

Is it only me, or everybody has the same problem when buying a new game? Do you guys noticed the box where the game comes does not tell you much inf.? Is it a first person game? Strategy? on line? etc. All this is very hard to find or somtimes no inf. is given. Should'nt all this inf. be standarized and in big letters so you don't make a mistake? Let me know what you guys think.

Vaskez 09-07-2004 05:41 PM

I dunno, I generally only buy a game if I've either played the prequels (if it has any) so know what it's like or after reading reviews and/or playing it at a friend's house. I never buy a game spontaneously without knowing what it's like. I think most people are like this, hence the lack of actual info like what you're looking for.

pritchke 09-07-2004 06:02 PM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00"> I usually read reviews (can't always go by these but usually gives a good idea what the game is about), view screenshots, try a demo. The only information on the box I am concerned with is if it runs on my machine. </font>

Gxc 09-07-2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaskez:
I dunno, I generally only buy a game if I've either played the prequels (if it has any) so know what it's like or after reading reviews and/or playing it at a friend's house. I never buy a game spontaneously without knowing what it's like. I think most people are like this, hence the lack of actual info like what you're looking for.
Same.

Ronn_Bman 09-07-2004 06:30 PM

I've never noticed any lack of description on the boxes, but I hate the lack of a full sized manual. That is a rip-off!

Now when I go to buy a game, I always go to buy a specific game that I already know the details on, and that I'm pretty sure I want. I've finally learned to resist impulse buys at the game store... unless they are in the <$5 bin. ;)

Are you curious about any game in particular or just making a general comment? If you have questions about a specific game, you'll find the folks here at IW to be well versed in computorial gameology. We all like D&D type games, but each person has their own gaming quirks for you to tap into. [img]smile.gif[/img]

pritchke 09-07-2004 06:34 PM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00"> I forgot about the cheap dollar bin, that is totally different ball game. If the cover looks good I may buy it.</font>

[ 09-07-2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

DBear 09-07-2004 06:42 PM

Ever since computer games switched to the DVD-size box, good manuals have been extremely rare. Try fitting something the size of BG2's manual in there.

Actually, I've found most games are good in at least denoting their genre.

T-D-C 09-07-2004 07:39 PM

NWN and the expansions still came with good sized manuals. Even KOTOR came with a fairly decent manual. Looks like Bioware are still looking after us (even though the NWN manual is FULL of mistakes) and the KOTOR is a little bit slim for my liking.

I HATE those games that come with the manual on a pdf!

I have seen a few games that have a description of the type of game near the ratings on the back of the box.

Lady Blue03 09-07-2004 07:52 PM

<font color=pink>I never ever buy games randomly. Whenever I do buy one it's because for all those reasons stated above: played it a friends, played prequels, read reviews, or (in WC3 and World of Warcraft's case) participated the beta (if applicable). Picking a random game up off the shelf can get you in to trouble [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>

shadowhound 09-07-2004 08:25 PM

I am awful when I buy games, I will normally only buy them if I have read reviews or played a demo or something... but when they are having a sale or in a bargain bin or something I am shocking :D
I recently grabbed Dues Ex and Gangsters from a specials table and must say that I really enjoyed Dues Ex (finally finished it) while Gangsters was not quite what I was hoping for.