Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Don't mess with Web geeks! A success story! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72243)

Sir Kenyth 11-21-2001 12:26 PM

I am awed! Someone ran a quick scam on Ebay involving a bunch of CDRW drives. She netted nearly $7000.00 with her auctions. One poor guy bid on a lot of 100 and paid almost $3000.00! Unfortunately for her, she scammed a large number of people. One was an internet detective and another was a para-legal. She did not cover her tracks well at all and was playing that it would be a long time before someone did something. With over 50 people putting in spare time to locate her, it was done VERY quickly. The proper complaints were filed quickly and efficently by all of us using email notification. Here are the fruits of that labor. Mere days after it started and done mostly via computer! I received a message this morning and here it is! I am SO proud of these guys! The lesson is don't screw with a bunch of computer nerds who like nothing better than to have an excuse to exercise their talents!

THE EMAIL!:

Is everybody sitting down? Okay.

This afternoon at approxmately 2:30 p.m. CDT, I got a phone call at work from a Detective Todd of the Brunswick County, North Carolina Sheriff's Department. Detective Todd (she LOVES her job!) identified herself to me, then said, "I got your Connie Marks here. What do you want me to do with her?" I said, "What?! Already? Just like that?!" She said, "Oh, yeah! She's no stranger to us!"

I asked the detective what Ms. Marks said when confronted with our eBay fraud charge, and she said Ms. Marks claimed she didn't know anything about that, somebody broke into her computer and did that, somebody sabotaged her computer. Then she slammed the door in the detective's face!

Detective Todd told me Ms. Marks just paid up all her delinquent rent on her apartment PLUS paid ahead on it but only for two weeks because she was fixing to leave! In fact, while we were on the phone, Ms. Marks tried to run, even with two or three officers standing right there outside her apartment building! And her license is currently suspended for DWIs!

Can you say "BUSTED"?

THAT'S RIGHT!!! WE DID IT!!!! Tonight, our Ms. Marks - her real name, by the way - is spending tonight in the Brunswick County, North Carolina jailhouse!

Detective Todd (she LOVES her job!) also told me that because most of the money went one place, to Ms. Marks' landlord, we have that strongly on our side! And further, this will most assuredly be one for the FBI. Wire fraud, mail fraud, etc. I told her that some of us had already filed complaints at the FBI's internet fraud complaint center, and she said they WILL come into it then.

So we don't even need to hire an attorney! We'll have the U.S. Attorney representing us! Don't think she'll be able to bond out on this one either since she has a sizeable criminal history AND tried to run from the detectives this afternoon!

I asked Detective Todd about our $7000: "I suppose we'll just have to eat that, huh?"

She said, "No. I think we can help you out with that, too."

So! Here's what you ALL need to do IMMEDIATELY!

Find your receipt for your payment to these auctions and FAX it to directly to Detective Todd, Brunswick County Sheriff's Department at

1-910-253-2711

If you paid through PayPal or some other online payment service, you should be able to access your account history and pull up a page detailing that the money went to Connie Marks, the amount, date, and your name. Contact your credit card companies with this information and make them fax you a copy of your receipt, if necessary, ASAP. If you paid by check, send a copy of BOTH sides so you'll have Ms. Marks' endorsement.

One more thing - Ms. Marks works nights as a psychic. (Frequently called the police on her neighbors for waking her up!) So. HOW COME SHE DIDN'T SEE US COMING SOONER???

In the immortal dialect of our favorite little Cartoon Network laboratory rat - CRIMINALS IS-A SO STOOOOPID!!!

Congratulations, folks!!!

By the way - WHO'S HOSTING THE PAR - TAY

Phyliss (Lacyt)

Sir Kenyth 11-21-2001 01:17 PM

*Sniff*

No one cares. I'm crushed! I'll have to reply to my own posts. I just can't stand the "0" replies! I mean, zero's are so empty, and yet so big, wide, and round. A big fat zero! So depressing.

Waaaaahhhhh!

Madman-Rogovich 11-21-2001 01:25 PM

BUMP* there ya go buddy

Barb 11-21-2001 01:38 PM

Is that true?

Kaz 11-21-2001 02:00 PM

That's cool! [img]smile.gif[/img] Congratulations!

Istaron 11-21-2001 02:08 PM

A little info about computer-neards:
"We do not want to conquer the world. In fact, we don't give a shit 'bout the world, as long as it provides us with new computers and electricity. We have something much better than the world...
We've got internet´!

Sir Kenyth 11-21-2001 02:38 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Barb:
Is that true?<hr></blockquote>

As far as I can tell. I faxed my info to the sheriff department and they havn't called me back confused yet. There's even a good chance we will get our money back as they are early enough to track and freeze the funds! Normally, good scammers and con-artists are hard to track. They use aliases, false addresses, multiple accounts, etc. This one was easy. She used her real name and even gave her approximate location. (Can you believe it!) I can't believe she was this ill prepared and expected to get away with it. She was going to wait two more weeks before moving according to her landlord. She has a prior criminal record and will likely do some time for this. That much money is no longer considered petty crime!