Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Modern Fantasy Genre? Any ideas for a first read? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38822)

Ronn_Bman 11-26-2001 09:28 PM

I'm looking for something modern to read in the Fantasy Genre. Any ideas as to what should be my first and why?

Djinn Raffo 11-27-2001 03:24 AM

Hi Ronn_BMan [img]smile.gif[/img]

hmmm...well i havent read this dude...but quite a few peeps on this board whose opinion on books i admire have been talkin about this guy called Robin Hobbs. My plate has been too full to check it out yet...but i know that the LoA and Jabidas both like there Hobbs...and im pretty sure that there not the only ones...!

I dont know how the series works, about a character called FitzChivalry ? i think...dont know which book is first etc. But hopefully those two or someone can tell you more...

Now some good sci fi you ask? ...hehehe! :D

Djinn Raffo 11-27-2001 06:44 PM

<H3><font color=silver>doesnt anyone have any ideas for Ronn_BMann</font></h3>

Desuma Malevois 11-28-2001 09:36 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
<H3><font color=silver>doesnt anyone have any ideas for Ronn_BMann</font></h3><hr></blockquote>

I hear and obey, oh master [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you like humor with your fantasy, try Piers Anthony's 'Xanth" series or Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series. Some here might recommend Glen Cook's 'Black Company' series, and, while I enjoyed it, I prefer his 'Garret, P.I.' stories instead. Try Stephen Brust's 'Vlad Taltos' stories, or his 'Phoenix Guard' tales for something that's a little more swashbuckling in nature. One of my personal favorites is Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' chronicles - although he's been dead for around 5 years I hope he's modern enough for you.

BALROGBANE 11-29-2001 10:35 AM

Thomas Covenant (The chronicles of) by Stephen Donaldson.
Riftwar Saga by Feist
Belgariad series by D. Eddings

all good but Donaldson is superb.

Zbyszek 11-29-2001 01:16 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Desuma Malevois:

If you like humor with your fantasy, try Piers Anthony's 'Xanth" series or Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series. Some here might recommend Glen Cook's 'Black Company' series, and, while I enjoyed it, I prefer his 'Garret, P.I.' stories instead. Try Stephen Brust's 'Vlad Taltos' stories, or his 'Phoenix Guard' tales for something that's a little more swashbuckling in nature. One of my personal favorites is Roger Zelazny's 'Amber' chronicles - although he's been dead for around 5 years I hope he's modern enough for you.
<hr></blockquote>

I HAVE TO SAY - YES!!!
Zelazny and Amber, yes!! Glen Cook - serie about Garret - this is almost Chandler. Dark Company if you wish to know dark side of human nature.
Pratchett - more than fun, everyone should try :D :D :D
Eddings - Belgariad serie is good, next series are worse.

(OK, there are about 70 books above in these series :D :D )

Mouse 11-29-2001 02:52 PM

My stock answer is to borrow a couple of compilations of short stories by modern fantasy writers, get to know the styles and subjects they cover, then go for some of the full length novels.

Oh, and for my recommendation. Try Simon R Green especially the "Hawk & Slayer" series or a book called "Shadows Fall"

Happy hunting [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Desuma Malevois 11-30-2001 05:21 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BALROGBANE:
Thomas Covenant (The chronicles of) by Stephen Donaldson.
Riftwar Saga by Feist
Belgariad series by D. Eddings

all good but Donaldson is superb.
<hr></blockquote>

I agree with the Donaldson, but you might find it slow going through the first book and a half. After that it really picks up.

Desuma Malevois 11-30-2001 05:25 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zbyszek:

I HAVE TO SAY - YES!!!
Zelazny and Amber, yes!! Glen Cook - serie about Garret - this is almost Chandler. Dark Company if you wish to know dark side of human nature.
Pratchett - more than fun, everyone should try :D :D :D
Eddings - Belgariad serie is good, next series are worse.

(OK, there are about 70 books above in these series :D :D )
<hr></blockquote>

Y'know, Zbyszek, I've noticed in your posts that you and I have a lot of the same tastes in reading materials. I congratulate you on your good taste [img]smile.gif[/img]

Desuma Malevois 11-30-2001 05:36 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mouse:
...Oh, and for my recommendation. Try Simon R Green especially the "Hawk & Slayer" series or a book called "Shadows Fall"

Happy hunting [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Actually, it's Hawk and FISHER, although, with those two, you could also say 'Slayer & Slayer' [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is also an excellent choice - the H&F novels that Green wrote around ten years ago were recently collected into two paperback omnibuses. If you get them, make sure you also pick up his two 'Blue Moon' novels (you'll find out why! ;) )