Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Just heard some disturbing news about WoW. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89029)

Dreamer128 01-12-2004 01:44 PM

Apparantly, some of the Alpha testers leaked bits and pieces of the World of Warcraft Source code, and certain elements have used this to start their own (completly illegal) server. Which is buggy as hell, does not include monsters or encounters and in which you can do little more then walk around. But still... disturbing. First Half Life 2, now this. Maybe it's the latest trend in the Game Industry.

Sir Degrader 01-12-2004 02:47 PM

Maybe it's the latest trend in the Game Industry.

If it is a trend, then i'm probably going to quit gaming and start sewing. Seriously though, hackers and people who do this stuff in general are realy dumbasses, why would they do something like that? There's no cash reward, and most of blizzard and valve hates their guts, as well as the people who hope to play HL2 and WoW games sometime in the NEAR future. BTW is it possible to be night elves in WoW?

pritchke 01-12-2004 02:48 PM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Considering my Mom just recently got run over in a hit a run by a 13 year old on an ATV I don't find this news disturbing. Disgusting but not disturbing!!!</font>

[ 01-12-2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

dplax 01-12-2004 02:56 PM

What is the point by the way in such buggy versions of games, like the HL2 and WoW material leaked on the net? Those who play them are just ruining the full game for themselves, and putting off several months for those, who would want to tenjoy it and play it.

Stratos 01-12-2004 03:12 PM

Why run a server with no monsters and nothing to do?

And doesn't alpha testers have to sign some kind of agreement not to release any material?

Harkoliar 01-12-2004 03:35 PM

Quote:

And doesn't alpha testers have to sign some kind of agreement not to release any material?
thats why its called "illegal" ;)

Gangrell 01-12-2004 03:41 PM

Just to start out on this coversation, let me point out who ever did this, is clearly not a hacker. Hackers can tap into AOL and FBI files, this is really small compared to that. No, this was done by a little group of really bored guys if you want my take on it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:

Originally posted by dplax:
What is the point by the way in such buggy versions of games, like the HL2 and WoW material leaked on the net? Those who play them are just ruining the full game for themselves, and putting off several months for those, who would want to tenjoy it and play it.
Pardon my language and all, but if you really want to know the point of it, people are assholes. The whole point behind it is just to annoy people because they've nothing better to do, because (I guess) they get some pleasure out of ruining someone else's day.

BTW, sorry to hear about your mother pritchke, you both have my best wishes.

Stratos 01-12-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Harkoliar:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

thats why its called "illegal" ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Then I'm sure they can sue them, IF they figure out who it is.

Lady Blue03 01-12-2004 04:25 PM

<FONT Color=pink>This might help a bit so you know exactly what happened (a direct quote I took from Bliizards WoW forums). I put in bold the matter at hand</font>

"As many of you know, we are currently conducting an internal Alpha test for World of Warcraft. Our goal for this Alpha test is to provide the best possible experience for players when the Beta launches in early 2004.

In order to accelerate the testing process, we recently allowed a small group of external testers to play the game. During this process, a collection of files was leaked to the Internet. While these files contain alpha content from the game, they are not fully playable and therefore do not convey the experience that World of Warcraft will provide when it is released.

We are currently investigating this matter and will take serious action against those involved.

As always, we appreciate the interest and enthusiasm that players around the world have for World of Warcraft, and we look forward to delivering a massively multiplayer game unlike any you have ever experienced. Until then, we ask that you refrain from sharing any content that doesn't come directly from Blizzard Entertainment.

Lastly, we would like to announce that sign-ups for the World of Warcraft Beta test will begin at the end of this month. Stay tuned to www.blizzard.com for further details."

<font color=pink>@Degrader- NE is a playable race, along with Undead, Trolls, Orcs, Humans, Dwarves, Tauren, and Gnomes.</font>

[ 01-12-2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Lady Blue03 ]

Dron_Cah 01-12-2004 05:23 PM

Hope your mom gets better real soon pritchke. [img]smile.gif[/img]