Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Grand Theft Auto inspires Thai murder (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99502)

Yorick 08-04-2008 12:27 PM

Grand Theft Auto inspires Thai murder

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200808...r-b86c26b.html

Cerek 08-04-2008 06:02 PM

Re: Grand Theft Auto inspires Thai murder

<font color="plum">Kinda hard to argue the game doesn't promote real life violence when the perp admits he was trying to imitate the game.

Personally, I think games like this should not be rated - they should be banned. But I guess I'm just becoming a crusty old coot.</font>

Dragonshadow 08-04-2008 07:18 PM

To be honest, I think the people who are stupid enough to try and copy a game are the ones that should be banned, not the game itself. How dumb to they have to be to think it was a good idea?

Yorick 08-04-2008 07:26 PM

As dumb as people who smoke to emulate a movie star?
As dumb as people who take up baseball after watching their hero smack a home run?
As dumb as a kid who picks up a guitar after watching music videos?
Imitation is a long established part of human learning. You learned to talk by imitating your parents. What goes in comes out.

Firestormalpha 08-04-2008 07:43 PM

There are a great many who do not even consider immitating a video game. Sadly, for them, they face the strong possibility of games being censored or banned because of the idiots who make the news. (make the news meaning, they end up in the news, not those who produce the news. Those who produce the news simply go where the story seems to be.)

Personally, the addition of drugs, sex, and criminal violence in video games seems excessive in my opinion. The only thing accomplished by adding them is an increased tolerance for them in society and I don't see that as a good thing.

Just in case someone feels my comments are an attack on their views, I never said you had to agree with me.

Spirits Reborn 08-04-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorick (Post 1211583)
As dumb as people who smoke to emulate a movie star?
As dumb as people who take up baseball after watching their hero smack a home run?
As dumb as a kid who picks up a guitar after watching music videos?
Imitation is a long established part of human learning. You learned to talk by imitating your parents. What goes in comes out.

So So SoOooo nicely put :)

---

I think this shows that alittle common sense goes a lon~~~~~~g way. But seems common sense is out of fashion now, doesn't it? =P Its a game (and I think it says "do not try this at home (or it should :D ))

On the other hand...here come the hoardes and hoardes of parents who won't rest until games like these are banned. (which may ultimately be a good thing)- not because I don't like these games. In fact they're fun to play, but its a game. People need to be able to make that distinction, and sadly, as more and more people are demonstrating it (they're not able to). So a good thing because, things like this won't happen because of a game. People like those are liable to do things like this whether its by influence of game or movies or ______. But at least if the game was banned, people won't be able to give video games a bad rap because of stupid incidents like these .

D:

:hehe:

Cerek 08-04-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestormalpha (Post 1211586)
There are a great many who do not even consider immitating a video game. Sadly, for them, they face the strong possibility of games being censored or banned because of the idiots who make the news. (make the news meaning, they end up in the news, not those who produce the news. Those who produce the news simply go where the story seems to be.)

Personally, the addition of drugs, sex, and criminal violence in video games seems excessive in my opinion. The only thing accomplished by adding them is an increased tolerance for them in society and I don't see that as a good thing.

Just in case someone feels my comments are an attack on their views, I never said you had to agree with me.

<font color="plum">The bold text really sums up my feelings towards games like this as well. I simply don't see any reason to create games that allow kids to vicariously experience these types of things. Because, at least with some, the video experience will eventually not be "thrilling" enough and they will want to try the real thing.

I just cannot condone a game that glorifies indulging in drugs, prostitution and criminal behavior in general.</font>

Dragonshadow 08-05-2008 05:03 AM

The point I was trying to make, in I admit not the best way, was that he must have known that stealing a taxi wasn't a very "good" or "right" thing to do, and is generally frowned on by society. But he was stupid enough to go and do it.

This is why I tend to not take part in discussions like this. I can't phrase my veiws in the way I would like.

Chewbacca 08-05-2008 10:27 AM

Ban art? Not on my watch...

CerebroDragon 08-05-2008 10:31 AM

That's a very sad case of an immature, irrational mind that failed to distinguish between the moral vacuum that often occurs in a video game and the expected morality of established society. This kid shouldn't have been any where near a game like Grand Theft Auto in the first place, if his mind was so naive as to think it acceptable to try such things in reality.

However, I would like to think that his choices shouldn't spoil the right to play such games for those of us who can make such distinctions.