Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   RE: Poll Function For The BG2 Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12408)

Dundee Slaytern 04-07-2003 11:50 AM

A long time ago, this forum used to have a poll function. For various reasons however, this function was removed. It has been suggested recently though, that maybe it would nice to have them back.

Now, there of course, have to be some guidelines every member should try to follow when they want to make use of the poll function. Most of them should be plain common sense to everybody. ;)

1) It has to be relevant to the forum.
2) It has to be relevant to the thread.

Finally, I wish to conduct a poll and see how many want to have the poll function back. Click on this link to participate in the poll and I will collect the results two days later.

Alson 04-07-2003 03:36 PM

Huzzah! Let's hear it for the poll function!

Pirengle 04-07-2003 04:15 PM

A touch of concern...

I moderate a Yahoo group that allows polling, but with restrictions. Back in November, someone joined the group, created ~20 polls, stayed around just long enough to collect data, and left.

Also, I have a big fear that we're going to get "favorite BG2 race/class/whatever" as often as Kangaxx threads.

My vote is a maybe for these reasons. If we had sticky poll threads for favorite SoA whatevers, and limiting people to one poll per day, my vote would change to yes.

pcgiant 04-07-2003 05:12 PM

I would be happy to vote, Dundee, but, and I quote, "Sorry, you do not have permission to vote in this poll."

Jim 04-08-2003 04:53 AM

I voted for the polling function, but hear where Pirengle is coming from. I wonder if there's a way to have a subsection of the BG2 forum (rather like a forum within a forum) reserved solely for BG2 polling. This could be in the form of a link at the top of all the posts in the root of the BG2 forum.

Annatar 04-08-2003 08:00 AM

<font color=white> I voted yes, but I fear the same as Pirengle, if they function comes... then create some rules for it that everybody must uphold.

A list of things that come in mind (what we probably get every day):
- Favorite Race
- Favorite Enemeny
- Favorite Class
- Favorite Weapon/Armor/Item
- Sorcerer vs. Mage
- Goblins must die!
- Aerie Wines Yes/No
- Korgan is evil Yes/No
- Favourite Mod (this is the only one that I think of should be allowed in a limited quantaties)
- Kangaxx is a though lich
- Twisted Rune is even harder
- Irenicus is a whimp compared to the 2 above

ect.ect.ect. get my drift? Only polls that make a sense should be allowed ofcorse there will be ''favorite'' polls, but make it so there is only one; not 21 polls about a single class ect. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

I would love to have some good quality polls concerning BG II, great idea.. though this will add alot of work for the Mods. here, to keep the polls clean and spam-free.

My [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] though.</font>

jamalez 04-08-2003 07:24 PM

Kangaxx is a tough [b]demi-[b]lich

Timber Loftis 04-08-2003 07:28 PM

Voted NO, for reasons well stated above.

Pirengle 04-08-2003 09:03 PM

Here's an idea, Dundee: How about a forum just for BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2/NWN polls? That way you can enable polling functions for all the games, in a way. And steer people there in the FAQ. Is it possible to do this?

Dundee Slaytern 04-08-2003 10:54 PM

Actually, there already is a forum for polls. It is just that it is purely for polls, and polls alone. In fact, maybe I have been too subtle, but I have already demostrated how you can go about tagging a poll to your thread without the need to add the poll function in the SoA Forum. ;)

Link to a poll in the Polls Forum. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

There are several benefits to this. Mainly, usually only a serious poller will bother to go through the trouble of making two threads on two different forums in order to serve one purpose. General mindless, brain-dead, twitch pollers will be turned off by all the effort.

Besides, it will serve to boost the readership in the Polls Forum, which is currently having a lack of active participants. There are some interesting polls in there from time to time, which are mostly ignored by the general member population.

Still, I would like to see how many really want the poll function back here. Bear in mind that the poll is not final. Ziroc still has the last say.