Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Accessing HOW (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23363)

Grungi 01-20-2003 07:19 AM

i havent even seen HOW in my game so far or any access to it, then i remembered some guy in kuldahar who wants me to go on a mission with him but said i wasnt tough enough, is this the guy who starts the HOW campaign? if so what level do i need to be, and what time should i go take HOW (whats ideal level to enter as well as minimum)

Micah Foehammer 01-20-2003 08:07 AM

IIRC, the party needs to average 11th level.

The best time to go back to Kuldahar and talk to Hjolldar to begin HOW is right BEFORE you go up the spiral stairs to confront RBP. I suggest you save the game there.

On a similiar thread, if you have TolM installed, the best time to start that is right before you go to the sea of moving ice in HOW. TolM can only be accessed thru a dialogue with Hobart Stubbletoes at the Inn in Lonleywood.

Grungi 01-20-2003 12:01 PM

tolm???

and spiral stairs to confront what now? [img]tongue.gif[/img] im in chapter 6 and currently wandering around fire salamanders and fire giants and the like, havent got all the badges yet, so is this a good time to go? i think im level 9-10 or so.

pritchke 01-20-2003 12:21 PM

You should also be able to manage HOW before heading into lower dorms deep, Chapter 6 I think. Last game I did everything but the two areas with the badges, and didn't enter lower dorms deep.

However as a side note it was a 3 person party so their levels were quite a bit higher than a six person party would be.

Lavindathar 01-20-2003 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grungi:
[QB]tolm???
QB]
<font color="cyan">Trials of the Luremaster. Another expansion for Icewind Dale, that can only be downloaded, and only used if HoW is already installed. It was made because the makers thought HoW was too small.</font>

[ 01-20-2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]

Micah Foehammer 01-20-2003 02:36 PM

Grungi,

TOLM is trials of the luremaster - accurately described by Lavindathar and downloable here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/60000/62184.shtml

RBP is a character you will encounter a bit later after you have used the badges to access the spiral stairs. Since you haven't gotten all of the badges, you likely haven't found the spiral stairs yet. I was trying to avoid spoilers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I would wait a little bit until you finish dealing with all of the fire salamanders, fire giants etc.

Grungi 01-21-2003 07:17 AM

ah i found em but not having the badges yet i cant go up em (incidentally how do i put the badges in i got a few but i cant put em in, do i need all 6 before it lets me?)

anyhows i gone to HOW now to see what its like, i already lied to a little girl, slept with her mum and then told her dad everything, hmmmmmm i like this mod [img]smile.gif[/img] i even got exp for doing all of that [img]smile.gif[/img]

Grojlach 01-21-2003 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lavindathar:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Grungi:
tolm???

<font color="cyan">Trials of the Luremaster. Another expansion for Icewind Dale, that can only be downloaded, and only used if HoW is already installed. It was made because the makers thought HoW was too small.</font></font>[/QUOTE]Don't expect too much of Trials of the Luremaster, however... It's by far the worst and most boring official release on the Infinity Engine, or at least it was in my experience. But if you like hack 'n slash and tiresome puzzles a lot, Trials of the Luremaster is the expansion for you. The only game I ever cheated out of pure frustration of it being so monotone and boring.
Oh, and don't expect too many decent magical items either. :(
On the other hand, it's free, of course. So you won't get the feeling of being ripped off afterwards. ;)

[ 01-21-2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

pritchke 01-21-2003 04:30 PM

I would have been content if they ended it after completing the four towers. After that it becomes a diablo like hack & slash. I didn't have to cheat but I had both a bard and a druid. I would not have made it through otherwise.

Grojlach 01-21-2003 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pritchke:
I would have been content if they ended it after completing the four towers. After that it becomes a diablo like hack & slash. I didn't have to cheat but I had both a bard and a druid. I would not have made it through otherwise.
Well, it wasn't that I *had* to cheat, it's just that I was so bored by it and wanted to go on with Heart of Winter as soon as possible, that I resorted to cheating my way through the last part. ;) I more or less snapped in the jackal area, where I a) couldn't rest and b) got extremely tired of the gem puzzle.