Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cloudy's Cafe, a conversation zone, Jan 5, 2005 (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92675)

Cloudbringer 01-05-2005 08:52 AM

the original thread used to be here

the previous thread is here:

<H2><font color="plum">Cloudy's Cafe</font></H2>

Come in, be welcome, be comfortable, be yourself

Welcome to Cloudy's Cafe, a place to have a cup of coffee or a good
darjeeling and the finest in conversation and camaraderie.

The proprietor asks that you follow a few simple guidelines:

<H3>this is a real conversation zone, not a role-play zone</H3>

* no flaming; if you disagree with a viewpoint expressed by any patron, please do so in a civil manner

* any topic is fair game, but keep posts to the standards that Ziroc has set for the entire forum, please (ie: foul language is not appropriate and things should be suitable for all audiences)
-a side note from Cloudy: I see this as a place for those short
conversations about a new baby or the latest soccer fiasco, not for things that are big enough to warrant their own threads, by all means give those things the space they need and post separately!

* Please, no one word or smiley posts (Ziroc has declared them 'real spam' and the proprietor doesn't want the reputuation of "good spam" to suffer!)

* do feel free to be serious or silly and enjoy the company of others while you are here. By all means POST if you have something to say, even to start another topic , we can handle multiple chats, we're a CAFE!!! But be courteous and don't disrupt a conversation just to disrupt it.

Come on in! The bar is stocked with coffees, teas, juices and waters from around the world. And purple napkins, of course!

<font color="pink">The lighting is low, the golden oak counters and tables glow with inviting warmth. Near the window, the lighting is brighter, as comfy, plush leather armchairs wait for those who'd like to read a book while relaxing to music or just lazily watch the world go by.</font>

Cloudbringer 01-05-2005 08:53 AM

<H1> <font color="plum"> PLEASE NOTE </font></H1>

This is a modified reminder that I've posted before in reply to someone asking "can we spam the cafe". It still holds true, so I'm going to repeat it periodically for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Read the first post of the thread, it's NOT a spam zone. If you want to discuss you grades, a problem with a teacher,the weather, your neighbor's new car etc.....etc.. (real life conversations) this is the place. I don't mind a SMALL amount of spam but when the Cafe gets to be 8 pages in one day and it's all one liner pure spam, I have to ask people not to do it because most of the members who would come to talk about their day or things that they want advice or sympathy or cheers on, will not post in that atmosphere. I want you to be comfy here, but not at the expense of other members.

So the answer is NO, I don't want to see page after page of roleplay spam or one liner spamfests that could be done on msn or aim etc. because our goal is to TALK WITH one another , not fill up a cafe in five hours. ;)

RoSs_bg2_rox 01-05-2005 09:00 AM

First post

edit:Ah, I haven't got that in a while :D

Well Cloudy, how are you today? Certainly in the joke "cracking" mode with reference to Blunderbuss' thread [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Jees it is windy today. The washing is getting a good blow anyways, that's for sure. Electric fence also seems to be blowing (which isn't really good because it means I'l have to go out and sort it, but ahwell)

[ 01-05-2005, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]

Bungleau 01-05-2005 09:03 AM

Second post!

Snowy here again... a far cry from the warm temperatures of last week. Such is the whim of mother nature...

Cloudbringer 01-05-2005 09:09 AM

LOL, Hi Ross! Well, I had to look up that smiley so when I saw what it was called, it made me laugh. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hi Bungleau! Snowing here, too, but lightly for now. We expect a few inches today then a few more overnight and several during the day tomorrow. Oh joy...we may even have a little 'mixed precipitation' tomorrow afternoon, just in time for the rush hour commute. blah!

Attalus 01-05-2005 09:22 AM

Onhly rain and in the 60's, here, but it's supposed to get colder and maybe freeze, tonight. Ah, Wiil is at school, and maybe I can nap a bit before office. I wonder where Jen got off to? Snowboarding, probably.

Xen 01-05-2005 09:23 AM

Hi all. I just came back from school. I had lunch and now I am going out to train some moves.

Callum 01-05-2005 09:36 AM

Hello...

Hmmm... I thought I had something to say... But then realised I didn't...

*Thinks for a while*

Oh yeah... I got my mp3 player, and it's GREAT! :D

I also bought Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth today... and it doesn't work. Not so great...

EDIT:

Wahey! Elminster!

[ 01-05-2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Callum ]

Hivetyrant 01-05-2005 09:40 AM

What MP3 player did you get Callum?

Blunderbuss 01-05-2005 09:43 AM

Hello, all. Miserable, gray and wet here. Back to school tomorrow. Better get some homework done. Food Tech and Geography. Is anyone here a chef? I'm looking for ideas for chilled desserts. (I've even joined thte Jamie Oliver forum. Oh, the embarrasment).

Callum 01-05-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
What MP3 player did you get Callum?
The Zen touch (20 gigs)

Attalus 01-05-2005 03:01 PM

Afternoon, all. Blunderbuss, I'm a cook but not a chef. Sometimes I wish I had done that.

SomeGuy 01-05-2005 05:24 PM

{sings} It's a beautiful daaaaaaaaay yeah {/sings} Weather here is cold, gray, and wet. No snow, just sleet. Lots of sleet, and ice. I REALLY hope we don't have school tomorrow. I wanna stay home. I'ma call my coach tonight and see if we can still come in tomorrow morning and work out just in case we have a snow day. Various parts of my body are sore, including my quads, glutes, hamstrings, lower back, etc. Hurts to walk. Today was our plyometrics day. At the end we had races to see who out of two people could make it through an obstical course. At the end we had to jump onto high boxes and then down. I managed to jump on it and then fall on my knees twice, winning both times. I'm a klutz. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Anyway, how was everyone else's day?

Attalus 01-05-2005 06:12 PM

Well, it's a crap day, here, too, but that is no surprise, since I only live a couple of hundred miles from SomeDude. Walk postponed until tomorrow, worse luck.

SomeGuy 01-05-2005 08:32 PM

Well, my friend Connor called me. His dad is a teacher, so they called his dad and told him there's no school tomorrow. So yay.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-05-2005 08:36 PM

Burr, nice to come in out of the cold! Time for nice hot cup of Chai tea! It's supposed to get quite cold here tonight -15 to -20ish. But I'm quite comfy I must say.

Cloudbringer 01-05-2005 09:38 PM

Snowing out and they predict several inches overnight and a few more tomorrow with some freezing rain mixedin.. whoo hooo.... ugh! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Gonna go catch a few episodes of Who's Line is it Anyway. See you all later!

Bungleau 01-06-2005 09:26 AM

* Picks the lock and opens the door*

Wow! This place was closed down for a while!

Morning, all. Last night, my daughter's friend told her this tale about how if you slept with your pajamas inside out and put a spoon under your pillow, it would snow enough that school would be cancelled the next day.

So she did it.

Guess what? Six inches of snow, and school cancelled. :D

She's now convinced that she has extraordinary powers, and it's all her doing. Gotta love it ;)

Cloudbringer 01-06-2005 09:38 AM

LOL, yup, Bungleau, the proprietor is stuck at home with a ton of snow falling...well ok, 4-6 inches and then we expect freezing rain with a possible quarter of an inch of ice build up.

Yay..welcome to the great frozen northland and winter. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

ROTL I hear that pajama story on the radio this morning. The morning dj's were talking about how some kids believe that! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudbringer 01-06-2005 09:38 AM

LOL, yup, Bungleau, the proprietor is stuck at home with a ton of snow falling...well ok, 4-6 inches and then we expect freezing rain with a possible quarter of an inch of ice build up.

Yay..welcome to the great frozen northland and winter. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

ROTFL I hear that pajama story on the radio this morning. The morning dj's were talking about how some kids believe that! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bungleau 01-06-2005 10:02 AM

Wow! She can't make it in, so she shows up twice! Is that a dedicated proprietor or what? :D

Kids are now out playing in the snow, and my wife is snowblowing the driveway. That's one good thing about working from home... I still have to go to work [img]smile.gif[/img]

Today also happens to be trash day... and I had to shovel a path to the bottom of the driveway so I could put the trash out! Be interesting to see how it is when I go out for lunch.

Cloudbringer 01-06-2005 10:45 AM

:D LOL Lucky you! hehe... Whenever my husband sees me going to shovel the driveway he usually tells me to 'go inside, he'll do it' but then he grumbles about having to do it in the same breath as telling me NOT to do it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Gotta love him! [img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img] Of course what I don't tell him is that I go to get the shovel when I want the driveway cleared so he ends up doing it on my schedule.. LOL (well, I'm sure he KNOWS that.. but hey, it works!) ;)

I was contemplating clearing our driveway before the ice hits but then realized that would make it harder on us as the ice would be ON the driveway and is easier it move if on a layer of soft snow like we're getting. Sheer ice on a hill (our driveway is a moderately steep hill) is not fun for car or pedestrian! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Lucky for us our trash day is tomorrow. :D

Ladyzekke 01-06-2005 12:54 PM

Glad we don't have any snow here yet. With as much rain as we have had, we are really lucking with the mild temps, otherwise we'd be buried in snow LOL.

I'm on a printing frenzy here at work, almost done though. Ah what to eat for lunch...A daily dilemma...I really can't think of anything but pizza LOL, and there is no pizza closeby [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] Plenty of Kabob Palaces though, zillions of em (barf). [img]tongue.gif[/img]

philip 01-06-2005 01:18 PM

Been painting my room for the last few days. I hope it'll be finished by tomorrow. I hate not having my own place now where I can do what I want and I hate sleeping in the living room. But at least I can watch TV then but there's not much on it anyway.

Attalus 01-06-2005 01:20 PM

No snow, here, and the sun has come out, so maybe it will warm up. Then I can walk the cabin-fever crazy dogs.

Xen 01-06-2005 01:25 PM

No snow here either. It's 10°C here. [img]smile.gif[/img] I just ate dinner. And it's Friday tomorrow. Whoopie.

Sir Degrader 01-06-2005 01:57 PM

Ten? Nice, over here it's -15 and -30 with the windchill.

Cloudbringer 01-06-2005 04:21 PM

We're getting mixed snow/rain right now and it's changing over to sleet.. oh joy!

Just had to feed Merlin, who's internal clock tends to speed up when I'm home... he wants his 'dinner' about two hours before he usually gets it! LOL

Xen 01-07-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Ten? Nice, over here it's -15 and -30 with the windchill.
Uuh that's cold. :( :eek:

Well I just got back home and I am enjoying beautful day.

philip 01-07-2005 08:24 AM

LOL over here it's like 12-13 celsius and it's supposed to be somewhere in the middle of winter :/

Cloudbringer 01-07-2005 09:27 AM

Wow, took us about a half hour to de-ice the car this morning! It was pretty thick on the side windows. Lots of snow with a crust of ice on the front window and top of the car too. A big chunk flew off as I rounded a corner this morning so I ended up going very slowly around all the rest of my turns.

TGIF, everyone! Well, I know it's been Friday for some of you for a while now.. but it's Friday for me now too so... YAHOO! PARTY!

*hands out free latte's and pumpkin pie*

Xen 01-07-2005 02:20 PM

Good evning all. I just watched weather forcast and it will be 14°C here tomorrow. And we are in January and snow is suposed to fall every day. I like it, but on the other hand it's not natural to have such high temperature at this time of the year and therefore it's bad for earth itself too.

Blunderbuss 01-07-2005 02:43 PM

Over here, we're threatened with wind up to 90 miles an hour and lots of rain. All calm at the moment though.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-07-2005 09:50 PM

Ok everybody, please on the weather thing. I think it's been beat up enough. I'll have a nice hot Apple Cider to drive the chill away. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Xen 01-08-2005 01:11 PM

Well, evning all. Today I had a really good day. I went out to PK and play football. I am watching the news at the moment and just found out that there are already 160.000 people dead in Asia. :(

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-08-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xen:
Well, evning all. Today I had a really good day. I went out to PK and play football. I am watching the news at the moment and just found out that there are already 160.000 people dead in Asia. :(
Want to know what else is really sad though; more people have died in Africa since the tsunami hit! Many are really hoping that the generosity will continue to flow to areas which have needed it for decades.

Attalus 01-08-2005 02:03 PM

Afternoon, all. It's a beautiful day, here. Supposed to get into the 60's, F. Clear blue sky with a few clouds, and a light breeze. We are, of course, going to ruin it by going shopping.

Dron_Cah 01-08-2005 08:22 PM

Tiiiiired. It's only 8 o'clock, and I want to go to bed! Craziness. Anyways, I got NWN, which looks amazing, but I have a problem: I'm a moron. ;) Seems I forgot to think about the disc being on DVD, and my not having a DVD reader. Oh well, this will probably make me focus on my studies more, I suppose. Say, anyone know how much a DVD expansion for my PC would cost? Oh, and, uh, 40F here, and not rainy, anymore! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ladyzekke 01-08-2005 11:08 PM

I just ate about 20 tater tots LOL. Ah Saturday night snacking LOL! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

johnny 01-09-2005 08:03 AM

Can anyone tell me what happened to the "who discovered America" topic in the Polls section ? It seems to be gone.