Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hi, im new to these type of games.. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92026)

Luke84 10-25-2004 12:26 AM

I have just started playing these D&D type games and had some questions i wanted to ask. I have just bought Baldurs Gate II + ToB and played right through the game and had a lot of fun. I was wondering if any of the other games on this forum (Icewind Dale NWN etc..) follow the same storyline or are they completly different games? I ask this because I saw screenshots of Icewind Dale II and noticed it had the same graphics as Baldurs Gate II.

My other question is, what other games that are like Baldurs Gate would you reccomend me buying?

Thanks

Hivetyrant 10-25-2004 12:31 AM

I would suggest buying Planescape-Torment, it kicks ass.
Icewind dale, uses the same engine and graphics but is slighly different in storyline.
NWN is completely different, graphics wise and story wise, but both are very good games(although I havnt really played Icewind dale)

T-D-C 10-25-2004 12:44 AM

Hi Luke,

Welcome to Ironworks!

The good thing about alot of the games that you have mentioned is that they are made by Bioware.

BG2, Icewind Dale 1&2 are all good games.

BG2 is great for its story as you ahve already started seeing. Icewind Dale is more focused on hack n slash as there is no party interaction (you create the entire party yourself)

If you can find it Planescape: Torment is a GREAT RPG. infact I just recently sold my copy of Planescape to the the above poster. Check the bargin bins in your computer stores and you should find it.

NWN is the next step in gaming. It has great graphics and even better Multiplayer capabilities. The NWN Platinum pack has just been released so I recommend that you get that and join us online in our home made mod Escape from Undermountain.

Harkoliar 10-25-2004 05:01 AM

if you want post-nuclear its fallout!!! get fallout 1 and 2!!! its a great game !! :D .

it reminds me of jeramiah which is a new series in the US. do any of you guys know this? its pretty interesting indeed!

Hivetyrant 10-25-2004 06:54 AM

WOW, T-D-C, I never knew that you became a Moderater, damn..I suppose I have to treat you nicely now :( :D

Hivetyrant 10-25-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by T-D-C:
infact I just recently sold my copy of Planescape to the the above poster.
Yeah, and I still play it [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

*EDIT Woot!! Red Dragon...Go me!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-25-2004, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 10-25-2004 07:40 AM

I strongly recommend Wizardry 8 as well. It's different than the above mentioned games in that "it's better" IMHO! I'm a big fan of turn-based combat and this game gives you that option. It is first person instead of top-down perspective. Graphics are nothing short of excellent. Read some of the posts at the Wizardry 8 forum, here at Ironworks!

T-D-C 10-25-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

WOW, T-D-C, I never knew that you became a Moderater, damn..I suppose I have to treat you nicely now
Yeah now you have to *insert cartman impression here* RESPECT my authoratha!

Its all cool I'm the same guy I was a week ago. Let me know if you need any help choosing some more games.

BTW you finshed planescape yet ?

[ 10-25-2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]

Hivetyrant 10-25-2004 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by T-D-C:
Its all cool I'm the same guy I was a week ago. Let me know if you need any help choosing some more games.

BTW you finshed planescape yet ?

Well, im saving at the momment for Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 but after that I am sure I will be bored. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And no, unfortunantly I havnt finished it, im stuck at the damn Pillar of skulls:P

T-D-C 10-25-2004 11:07 PM

I was going to put some money down on them on the weekend with my works gift vouchers but decided to buy myself a playstation 2 with lots of games.