Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Study: Dogs have cancer-sniffing ability (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91741)

pritchke 09-24-2004 02:08 PM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Well I guess that is just one more reason to own a dog.</font>

LONDON (AP) - It has long been suspected that man's best friend has a special ability to sense when something is wrong with us. Now the first experiment to verify that scientifically has demonstrated that dogs are able to smell cancer.Source

[ 09-24-2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

johnny 09-24-2004 02:11 PM

Sorry, but i don't buy just anything.

Dave_the_quack 09-24-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

"The issue is whether you can set up a system whereby they can communicate with you. That requires further ingenuity."

Hrmm... sounds like we need Lassie at a time like this....

"Whats that boy? Lil Jimmy has testicular cancer? WOW, we better get him to the doctor RIGHT away!"

pritchke 09-24-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave_the_quack:
Quote:

"The issue is whether you can set up a system whereby they can communicate with you. That requires further ingenuity."

Hrmm... sounds like we need Lassie at a time like this....

"Whats that boy? Lil Jimmy has testicular cancer? WOW, we better get him to the doctor RIGHT away!"

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">If he is like some of the other dogs they would let you know by trying to bite off the cancer. Ouch!!! :D </font>

[ 09-24-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

Lauren 09-25-2004 10:35 PM

It would be good if dogs can really do that... sniff out cancer in humans... but how do you know when they are smelling cancer on you? How can a dog tell you?
(just so you know I didn't really read the article, so if there is information relating to these questions just let me know)

RevRuby 09-27-2004 08:46 AM

i believe it. i have "chicken soup for the pet lovers soul" (makes me bawl all the time) and it ahs as tory int here that i have seen on the tv too. about a woman who had a dog to keep her company as she got older. one day the normally respectable dog started jumping and pounding on her chest. he dislodged breast cancer that if it had waited til one could normally detect it would have prolly killed her.

Hivetyrant 09-27-2004 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lauren:
It would be good if dogs can really do that... sniff out cancer in humans... but how do you know when they are smelling cancer on you? How can a dog tell you?
(just so you know I didn't really read the article, so if there is information relating to these questions just let me know)

Id imagine that the dogs would be trained to respond in some way.

Donut 09-27-2004 09:35 AM

I've heard that if they ever find a way to communicate with the dogs they might use them for things like following a scent or sniffing out drugs and explosives.