Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   roleplayer's approach to dragon-slaying... (spoiler) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58931)

Russ 11-13-2001 12:47 PM

As stated before, I'm not a powergamer (fer instance, my party's left the shadowdragon alone, because they have no knowledge that CF exists... why should they go for it?).

but for killing firkraag... after numerous failed attempts, we went back, and it turned out to be pathetically easy.

Poisoned bolts and arrows.

duh...... (tweedling lips....)

Keylow 11-13-2001 01:35 PM

So you just peppered him with arrows and bolts?
I doubt F just stood there holding up a bullseye for ya.
You probably had some summons to, right?

Or did you just hit-and-fade him? ya know, hit him with an arrow and back off while the poison works.

Russ 11-13-2001 03:46 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Or did you just hit-and-fade him? ya know, hit him with an arrow and back off while the poison works.<hr></blockquote>

We summoned up a few critters (air elemental and two bears), and put Minsc out front, tossed a few preparatory spells --(not like we went in macho and stupid), bless, haste, chant, improved invisibility, that sort of thing-- and then had Keldorn (am saving Haer'D for a second run-through with a totally different party) and Mazzy and my main character (f/m/t) peppering him with poisoned bolts and arrows. I cast lower resistance, and Aerie and Jahiera tossed out some spells, but what really made the difference was the constant poison effects from three different sets of missiles, who had to have hit once every other round.

But oh, how satisfying to see Keldorn's crossbow bolt with teh critical hit message "Torm take you!" and then see F come crashing down into sudden silence... I love the special music for significant fights.

That fade might be workable, but I haven't exploited it, because it just seems cheap to me to exploit an AI hole for something that's supposed to be a dramatic moment. If a hobgoblin acts stupid, that's one thing, it's meat anyway....

Synthos 11-13-2001 10:14 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Russ:

improved invisibility
<hr></blockquote>
This is probably one of the main reasons he went down real easy.. you can't target people with spells till the invisibility is completely dispelled.

250 11-13-2001 10:27 PM

dude, have you fought a dragon? dragons dont target you with specific spell, most of his spells are area effect

Keylow 11-14-2001 03:27 AM

Didn't your team get wingbuffeted?

Russ 11-14-2001 10:17 AM

Minsc and Jaheira and Aerie and all the critters? Yup, Firkraag knocked 'em silly. I don't think Aerie got off more than three spells the entire time. Beat the hell out of Keldorn, too, invisibility or no. Big K. was about to go down if he got caught in the cuisinart again. The invisibility was a real mixed blessing, because it kept J. from healing him.

Yup, poisoned arrows, yup....

Keylow 11-14-2001 11:12 AM

Well anywayz, nicely done... [img]smile.gif[/img]