Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How's this computer look? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92744)

krunchyfrogg 01-17-2005 03:26 AM

My friend helped my build this computer. Let me start by saying that I really don't know much about computers. I also only use my computer for checking e-mail, visiting message boards, and things like that. I also play some older video games (late 90's) like Baldur's Gate I and II, and Planescape: Torment.

Anyway, here's what we came up with:

Dell Dimension 3000 Series
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition OS
512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 video card
80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
48x CD-ROM Drive + Save $40! 48x CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
Integrated Audio Sound Card

Will this be able to handle the needs I detailed above? Does it look like a reliable system? TIA.

shamrock_uk 01-17-2005 03:47 AM

Mate...you'd be able to fulfill your needs above with a computer that's 5 years old - the one you describe will cope admirably! Whack in a new graphics card and you'll have no problems playing the latest and greatest games either. Don't use XP home if you'll be connecting to an untrusted local network though. Just be aware that it's extreme overkill for what you actually need.

(Edits)

[ 01-17-2005, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]

LennonCook 01-17-2005 03:52 AM

<span style="color: lightblue">It'll do the job alright until you want a different OS. But other than that it should be more than enough. Do you play any games which are more modern (read: graphically intense) than the ones you mention? If you do, you will need a better graphics card and posssibly a better sound card. If you don't, you might be able to save quite a bit by halving the RAM and processor, and getting one without an OS (to put Win98 on).

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-17-2005 04:11 AM

Check the video memory! It should be a minimum of 128MB, 256MB would be better. Also see how upgradable the system is.

The downside with Dell is that you usually have to buy Dell stuff for it.

If they have deal on memory, upgrade to a 1gig.

Jorath Calar 01-17-2005 04:27 AM

And get a bigger harddrive... at least 160 gb, this one will last you a week if you get any newer games... [img]smile.gif[/img]

andrewas 01-17-2005 10:31 AM

That integrated graphics card, replace it with a decent one. Intel extreme graphics are bottom of the range.

Although it should run BG2 and the like adequatly, if your sure you arent going to want to try more recent games like NeverWinter Nights in the future.

krunchyfrogg 01-17-2005 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LennonCook:
<span style="color: lightblue">It'll do the job alright until you want a different OS. But other than that it should be more than enough. Do you play any games which are more modern (read: graphically intense) than the ones you mention? If you do, you will need a better graphics card and posssibly a better sound card. If you don't, you might be able to save quite a bit by halving the RAM and processor, and getting one without an OS (to put Win98 on).
Pre-emptive "I really don't know much about computers"

1)Why would I want a different OS?
2)I only play games like Baldur's Gate I and II, and I'm getting Planescape:Torment in a few days. I'm really not all that much into gaming, I'm more into messageboards, fantasy baseball, and generally surfing the internet.

Mack_Attack 01-17-2005 12:07 PM

Krunch you will have no problems and the good thing if needed, do some upgrades down the road.

RoSs_bg2_rox 01-17-2005 12:28 PM

Just out of interest, how much will this cost?

krunchyfrogg 01-17-2005 05:12 PM

Re: Ross:

About $600. I actually had it priced at $570, but the shipping would have cost me $100. Since free shipping kicks in at $600, I decided to upgrade a little bit.