Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Strange question for creative people with knowledge of European history.. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84214)

Dreamer128 02-13-2003 10:16 AM

Lo and behold my silly problem;
As some of you may know, I'm working on a rather large history essay, regarding the consequences of the first World War. Now, I've basicly completed everything. But I still don't have a title for my essay. This may seem a trivial issue, but the title will be printed on my final diploma. Which will probably remain on my wall for the rest of my life ;)
Now, like I said before, its all about the the Political, Geographical and Social consequences of WWI... I'm taking suggestions [img]smile.gif[/img]

MagiK 02-13-2003 10:18 AM

<font color="#ffccff">Well you could title it "The War that caused the Second World War" Because the treaties and surrender conditions of WW I gaurenteed that there would be a second World War. In the end it was as big a waste as any war ever was. </font>

Dreamer128 02-13-2003 10:33 AM

Definatly true Magik. Thanks for the imput [img]smile.gif[/img]
But 'De Oorlog die de Tweede Wereldoorlog veroorzaakte' (the war that caused the Second Worldwar) doesn't really flow well as a title ;)
I was thinking more of something like 'The end of peace'. For as a historian said; before 1914, we knew the meaning of peace. What came after it isn't worth the name.

[ 02-13-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]

Mouse 02-13-2003 10:40 AM

"How One Bullet Killed 10 Million?"

Melusine 02-13-2003 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Definatly true Magik. Thanks for the imput [img]smile.gif[/img]
But 'De Oorlog die de Tweede Wereldoorlog veroorzaakte' (the war that caused the Second Worldwar) doesn't really flow well as a title ;)
I was thinking more of something like 'The end of peace'. For as a historian said; before 1914, we knew the meaning of peace. What came after it isn't worth the name.

I think you may have difficulties translating suggestions for English titles, Velk. English just formulates them differently. It's of little use to ask for suggestions in English when the title has to be in Dutch, trust me on this one. Still, there are always things that work in both languages. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Í'll give you an example... you talked about how it was the end of peace as we knew it. So someone might suggest "Peace redefined" as a title. In Dutch, what would you make of that? "Een herdefininiëring van vrede"? Geen pan ;)

If I might make a suggestion, try to come up with a short and catchy "main title" and an explanatory undertitle. That's often how it's done in academics... the first part doesn't have to say exactly what it's about, the second part should. As an example, my working title for an essay on one of Mozart's operas is:

<center><font size=4>Enlightenment without emotion</font>
<font size=2>Good and evil in Mozart's Die Zauberflöte</font>

</center>

You're right to pay so much attention to you title Dreamer, good job! It is more important than you think. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-13-2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Sever 02-13-2003 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mouse:
Very clever. I was going to say "he started it" but i think you should go with Mouse's effort.

Moiraine 02-13-2003 10:44 AM

Like 'Sarajevo'. [img]smile.gif[/img]

johnny 02-13-2003 10:44 AM

All quiet on the western front.

Dreamer128 02-13-2003 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mouse:
Good one Mouse [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mel; I considered this as well, but I'm completly in the dark here... I'm just hoping for some suggestions to get me underway. Besides, most English Titles can be reformulated to fit my needs.

Melusine 02-13-2003 10:49 AM

I edited my previous post, but I'll say it again: if you go with something catchy, something that does not really say what your essay is about try to do it as I suggested, e.g.

<center><font size=4>Een kogel die een miljoen velde</font>
<font size=2>De politieke en sociale consequenties van de Eerste Wereldoorlog</font></center>

(lousy, on-the-spot translation BTW, don't use it! [img]smile.gif[/img] )