Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Trend Continues (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98720)

Gangrell 02-20-2008 11:28 AM

The Trend Continues

I just caught this on the local news. Apparently one of the schools near here is on lockdown, they say somebody might be loose with a firearm. Seems like no school's safe these days.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A local high school is on lockdown after a report of a possible weapon inside.

No shots have been fired, and no one has been hurt.

Police are searching room by room through the school and interviewing witnesses to find out exactly what they saw, said Metro Police spokesman Detective Phil Russell.
sponsor

Metro Police Chief Robert White said a student from Buechel Metro School is a suspect.

Police are not sure if he is a former student.

High School Playbook’s Sarah is a student at Fern Creek Traditional High School. She was in contact with the WLKY newsroom Wednesday morning via text message with how students inside the school are dealing with the situation.

9:55 a.m. "Im ok. We are being informed. We are on lock down and its kinda hectic. There are cops everywhere"

10:05 a.m. "I cant leave my room. We are on the ground in the dark. I can try though. I happen to be with my broadcast teacher."

10:37 a.m. "I have been on the phone this whole time."

Jefferson County public schools spokeswoman Lauren Roberts said students are being kept in their classrooms while the building is searched.

Roberts said a student thought she saw a young man with a weapon talking to two others in the school cafeteria.

Roberts said the student didn't recognize the man.

She said police were notified immediately.

Article: http://www.wlky.com/news/15352910/detail.html

johnny 02-20-2008 11:46 AM

Re: The Trend Continues

Is it something in the air?

Vaskez 02-20-2008 03:31 PM

maybe america will realise makin it easy to own weapons aint a good idea...

ZFR 02-20-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskez (Post 1200652)
maybe america will realise makin it easy to own weapons aint a good idea...

If you want your posts to be taken seriously, it might be a good idea to write "Maybe" with an "M", "America" with an "A", "making" with a "g" and if you insist on using "ain't" at least give it an apostrophe.

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-20-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZFR (Post 1200653)
If you want your posts to be taken seriously, it might be a good idea to write "Maybe" with an "M", "America" with an "A", "making" with a "g" and if you insist on using "ain't" at least give it an apostrophe.

If you want to play pedant, go right ahead, but I'll not have our calling maligned by the dilution of a good point by nitpicking- one must know when to leave well enough alone and appreciate a point well made.

ZFR 02-20-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar (Post 1200654)
If you want to play pedant, go right ahead, but I'll not have our calling maligned by the dilution of a good point by nitpicking-

I'm not playing pedant. In all my 6 years at Ironworks, I've never picked on anyone's grammar/spelling. This is specifically for Vaskez. He's been doing a lot of this kind of posting and it's a bit annoying. Come on, that was just a one-sentence post he's made...

That's just my advice. If you want your "good point" not to be "diluted" don't make sloppy posts. Take 10 seconds to re-read what you've written, otherwise your arguments will simply not be taken seriously.

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-20-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZFR (Post 1200655)
I'm not playing pedant. In all my 6 years at Ironworks, I've never picked on anyone's grammar/spelling. This is specifically for Vaskez. He's been doing a lot of this kind of posting and it's a bit annoying. Come on, that was just a one-sentence post he's made...

That's just my advice. If you want your "good point" not to be "diluted" don't make sloppy posts. Take 10 seconds to re-read what you've written, otherwise your arguments will simply not be taken seriously.

I did think it was odd. Didn't know you wanted to play Duelists. Ah well.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 02-20-2008 07:11 PM

..any updates on this?

Ilander 02-20-2008 07:24 PM

There are lots of bigger problems in America than the ability to own a gun. Take the fact that there exists a mindset for using guns to harm other people.

Really, why can't fundamental morality like "don't steal, don't kill" be taught in these same schools, especially here in Kentucky, where the populace would almost certainly agree with such an action?

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-20-2008 07:30 PM

No, no, no, Ilander. It's not a question of morality not being taught. Do you believe that people are unaware that killing and stealing is "wrong"? It's a disregard for such morality that is the problem. People need to be taught things like empathy and problem solving skills.

In addition to this, the connection between some/many/most school shootings needs to be studied. Unfortunately, actual and valid ways to prevent this sort of thing will never, ever be implemented, and instead people will come up with asinine things that don't work to give them a false sense of security.

And so it goes.