Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why a Warrior? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31112)

Detah 01-23-2002 10:09 AM

In several help/tip sections, it is advised that you keep a Warrior until he/she is level 6 to 8. Why? Is there some skill, trait or power that is gained at these levels? I have 2 L8 Warriors right now and I can find NO reason for having kept them in their respective roles for that long. This is my first time playing thru the game, so I am just learning. But I'm surprised that it was advised to keep Warriors until L6-8. It seems more practical (and more beneficial in the long run) to change them to paladin, barbarian or samurai ASAP.

It seems to me that once you have joined the Warriors Guild, all the cool skills and traits will become available to you, whether you move on to Samurai and then to Wizard or just stay a common Warrior. Therefore, there is no benefit to staying a Warrior. If you can afford it, change to paladin, barbarian, or samurai immediately.
Ive heard it said that Paladins and Samurai have the same hp per levelup as Warrior and Barbarians have even more than them. So clearly is not the reason for their L6 suggestion.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Detah

Wyvern 01-23-2002 11:00 AM

Hi Detah!!

I think the major reason for keeping a warrior to level 6/8 is that it is still relatively easy to gain levels up to that point. When you change class, they go back to level 1 and levels are extremely easy to gain at first. By keeping your warrior a warrior a bit longer you have additional hit points and opportunities to increase abilities/skills. Beyond that - there is no reason not to change them sooner.

Wyv

Ryanamur 01-23-2002 12:27 PM

Detah, I agree with you for the warrior. Personnaly, I like to change them around level 2-3. Two main reasons for this:

1- If you change to a magic role, you get to higher magic levels quicker.
2- If you change to barbarian, you get more HP when you level up.

The main drawback is that you loose a few skill and HP points in the medium run. But then in the long run, you really catch up and don't see the difference. If anything, it allows you gain more experts roles quicker (thus gaining more powers).

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Ryanamur ]</p>

Dr.Pick 01-23-2002 06:16 PM

I only kept my Warr's to lev 5. But I think I'll try R's advice with the next party I create. Mmmmm... party.

+Dr.Pick

Bungleau 01-27-2002 10:46 PM

I vote for switching to Barbarian ASAP. Get the max hit points possible for the first 8-12 levels. When you switch to other classes later, you're only going to get a point or two per level anyway, and won't start seeing real hit point gains again until you exceed your barbarian class.

And skill points are a non-issue, since they're based on intelligence. Attribute points may be a concern, but with proper management of levels and advances, you can be at level 20 in Str, Int, Spi, Dex, and Agi before you get to Brimloch Roon. Consider two or three attribute points by levelling up, or five per level by studying.