Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Accent, or no accent? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85624)

Lady Blue03 01-20-2003 09:36 PM

<font color=pink>I've always wondered this:

Say an Aussie and a Californian are in a room together, talking. Now, would the Aussie think the Californian has a funny accent, or is completely void of one? I think it would be a funny accent, if I were born in Aussie. But my mother seems to think they would think we are lacking of accents. So i figured I'd ask people who are actually living in Aussie. People with non-calif accents are welcome to add their opinions as well :D </font>

Judas Maccabeus 01-20-2003 09:44 PM

Y'all need ta git 'n accent. Y'all sehm rellah bland.

Now git offah mah propahty!

*fires shotgun and releases dogs*

shadowhound 01-20-2003 09:46 PM

Californians have accents, they just don't realise it. Most people don't realise that they have accents, they just think everyone else has [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lady Blue03 01-20-2003 09:53 PM

<font color=pink>That makes sense, I think. Given I think accents from Europe and around there as well as Australian and New Zeland are very sexy :D
But i suppose as long as you think that you don't think you have an accent, you don't, but everybody else does [img]tongue.gif[/img] *confusing myself*</font>

Sir Krustin 01-20-2003 09:53 PM

Californians have accents, everybody has accents - your own accent just seems natural to you.

To clinch this, listen to a Valley Girl.

Like, whatEVerrr! :D

Aelia Jusa 01-20-2003 10:20 PM

Surely everyone has an accent? However you pronounce words, that's your accent... isn't it? Wow the concept of no accent is kind of boggling! What would that sound like I wonder? No, nothing I think, makes no sense [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Of course, I wouldn't think they had a funny accent, just a different one ;) .

Aragorn The Wise 01-20-2003 10:45 PM

united states accents depend on what region you live in. I've lived in Ohio all my life but when "outsiders" move to Ohio I can tell what region they are from, from their accent. Accents are everywhere

LordKathen 01-20-2003 11:03 PM

I think that there is a differance between accent and dialect. I think aussies have the coolest dialect of them all. Within the US, we have a large variety of accents, but only one dialect. At least thats how I look at it, I could be wrong.

shadowhound 01-20-2003 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
<font color=pink>I think accents from Europe and around there as well as Australian and New Zeland are very sexy :D </font>
Quote:

Originally posted by LordKathen:
I think aussies have the coolest dialect of them all
Damn I love being Australian :D

Memnoch 01-21-2003 06:05 AM

I agree with Bluesy here - I spent my early childhood in Ohio, then adolescence in Los Angeles, then moved to Sydney when I was 15 (almost half my lifetime ago). I've still kept my generic Californian accent, which is to say that I have a neutral American accent (like a TV presenter). Of course, within California itself there are a number of accents, depending on where you are - but the majority of Ozzies are too tone-deaf to distinguish between disparate North American accents - anything with more drawl than a Texan accent and they're lost. :D :D :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]