Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Living Stone??? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32448)

moiraine sedai 10-12-2003 06:24 AM

Just a small question: When Freyedies mentions the living stone or the living rock, he makes them sound like monsters.

1) Has anyone encountered one of these living rocks?

2) What do you think they would look like ( I think they'd be similar to Earth Elementals...)

3) Could the living rock he refers to be those little slime creatures? I'm not sure, but I think that one time I ran into a bunch of them, and they were called rock jellies (or some such...)???

Thanks in advance,

Moiraine Sedai

Wyvern 10-12-2003 11:17 AM

We've pondered this question before on the board without anything conclusive being decided. It could be that the "Living Stone" was a game element that got dropped in the rush to market. You'll never encounter any monster that is obviously this "Living Stone". Some folks thought it was the hell hounds in the area where you find the dragon ore which is fairly plausable, certainly more so than the slimes which are more common but there is no monster which really matches what you expect to find.

Wyv

bsftcs 10-12-2003 11:58 AM

Several posts have dealt with that subject, and no one has yet been able to find "the living stone". I side with Wyvern on this one: Either the fire hounds or something which was eventually omitted from the game. :(

CerebroDragon 10-12-2003 12:06 PM

I too encountered these petrified protoplasmic horrors referred to as "Rock Jellies" in the Abandoned Mines, but I didn't immediately associate them with Freyedies creepy stories of the "Living Rock". As soon as he mentioned that phrase, I had dire visions of Iron Golems or indeed Moiraine, an elemental of some kind. I tend to lean more towards the rock jellies than the lava pups as an association due to their literal 'rockness'. I could also very easily imagine the crazies encountering them whilst mining (workin' all day!) and engaging (workin's my way!) them desperately in (singing my song!) suitably crazy fashion. (all the day long!) Arggh! Enough already ye Cacophonic stout, dieeeeeeeeeeeee! Blat! :D

I don't think it helped the dissociation with the jellies that they actually looked like the green slimes, as if they looked more 'rockular', it would make more sense that it was what Freyedies was referring to. :D
But hmmmmm...an interesting little tid bit for sure! ;)

I would have really liked to have met Brinbath's ghost or have something do with his legacy down in the mines, as I'd imagined there would be many nice possibilities to tie more plots up with Rethpian and Bilbump as well.
I've definitely had the most drama's and difficulty in those dwarfian depths so far!

Still boogred for brew,
CerebroDragon [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-12-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]

Lord 10-13-2003 11:05 AM

Well, if it's in the mines, perhaps he was talking about sporing fungi (maybe it was just called fungi, it's been a while). I remember those things being everywhere in the mines, and I remember them being short little things, but I don't remember if they possibly looked like rocks. Could that be it?

bsftcs 10-13-2003 11:38 AM

You mean the fuming fungi or the creeping spores. I do not believe they are rocks - they are fungi. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lord 10-13-2003 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bsftcs:
You mean the fuming fungi or the creeping spores. I do not believe they are rocks - they are fungi. [img]smile.gif[/img]
yes, I know that. I just meant that they might have kinda looked like rocks when you see them at a distance. It will be a while before I see them again now that my old saves are gone, but I can live with that. They weren't exactly my favorite creatures! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bungleau 10-13-2003 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord:
They weren't exactly my favorite creatures! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'm with you there. Fry 'em from a distance, and I'm happy... :D

bsftcs 10-14-2003 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bungleau:
I'm with you there. Fry 'em from a distance, and I'm happy... :D
Ah, but Bungleau, some fungi are poisonous even when fried - also when fried from a distance. Did your mushroom hunting instructor not teach you that? :D

[ 10-14-2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]

Bungleau 10-14-2003 05:19 PM

But I'm not fryin' 'em to eat... just to fry...

Reminds me of a buddy who used to be (and probably still is) a trapper. Whenever he'd catch a skunk in one of his traps, he follwed the same process: stand half a mile off, put a bullet in it, and come back two days later.

BTW, you may never guess (unless you've read this before) which industry has a real need for skunk scent glands... a spider cider at the Boogre Bar for the first person with the correct answer [img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]