Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   soloing... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9444)

Ilythiiri 09-06-2002 03:07 AM

hello, i have never go solo before but i would like to know if u are really soloing... do u remove all your npc members? if u do, how r u going to do the quests for each npc? and what difficulty level did you all set? can give me some advice?

Jon Irenicus 09-06-2002 03:39 AM

The main point of soloing is that u complete the game all by urself with no help from NPCs. When we solo, we all remove the NPCs from our party. And if we want to do the NPC quests we just ask that NPC to join you. After doing the quest, we kick the NPCs out. And about the difficulty, I always set it to Insane withe the SOLA MOD installed, but thats just me, u can always set it to a more easier level.

Dundee Slaytern 09-06-2002 05:19 AM

JI, the way you are doing it is not strictly soloing. Strict soloists like myself do not, under any circumstances, allow a NPC to join us. Imoen forced herself into your party at the start? Kick her out once you are done talking.

The only concession that strict soloists will allow is Valgar. If you are good-aligned and do not wish to kill him, you may take him in and use him to open the door of the Planar Sphere.

NOTE! This is his only role! If you encounter any random encounters, you are supposed to reload and avoid them, because a soloist has to earn all his/her Exp by him/herself. After opening the door, the soloist kicks Valgar out.

On a side note, I usually kill him and just use his body to open the door.

A genuine soloist will also not cheat. That is, no giving oneself equipment at the start.

Oh... and the difficulty level is Insane of course. We are talking about giving oneself a challenge here.

Legolas The Magnificent 09-06-2002 05:32 AM

do you set the gameplay to AUTOPAUSING when ur strictly soloing? If yes, I think that's cheating...

Dundee Slaytern 09-06-2002 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Legolas The Magnificent:
do you set the gameplay to AUTOPAUSING when ur strictly soloing? If yes, I think that's cheating...
Care to explain why?

Jon Irenicus 09-06-2002 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
JI, the way you are doing it is not strictly soloing. Strict soloists like myself do not, under any circumstances, allow a NPC to join us. Imoen forced herself into your party at the start? Kick her out once you are done talking.

The only concession that strict soloists will allow is Valgar. If you are good-aligned and do not wish to kill him, you may take him in and use him to open the door of the Planar Sphere.

NOTE! This is his only role! If you encounter any random encounters, you are supposed to reload and avoid them, because a soloist has to earn all his/her Exp by him/herself. After opening the door, the soloist kicks Valgar out.

A genuine soloist will also not cheat. That is, no giving oneself equipment at the start.

Oh... and the difficulty level is Insane of course. We are talking about giving oneself a challenge here.

Hmmm..... learned something today. But dont u think that not doing those NPC side quests is kind of stink? And in the beginning hanging around that dungeon without a thief is gonna have u ended up being blasted to pieces by those traps...

TaSSaDaR 09-06-2002 06:48 AM

Now I have come up with the same question - do all you soloists take an NPC in sake of their side quests?? NPC, of course, will stay outta fight. Now I do need a lot of XP, and do not want to pass to ch3, and I think the side quest with those Harpers will come in handy, and so are Korgan's Book, and maybe some others. What do you, people, think about this?

Link 09-06-2002 06:53 AM

Well... rule number one while soloing is that you solo :D This means that you do ALL things (and that means *ALL* things) by yourself. This involves not allowing party members in you party, not even when they're needed (i.e. when you need to have them in the party to get a quest, you take them, go get the quest, and ditch them as soon as possible). As Dundee said; Valygar is the only exception in this principle (AFAIK the other quests [such as de'Arnise Hold] can be entered without taking the NPC with you).
In short: soloing is finishing the game without the help of other party members. No XP must be lost because you have party members.. The only disadvantage, is that you don't get the party member-related quests (such as the quest for Jan Jansen).

White Lancer 09-06-2002 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Valygar is the only exception to that rule that i allow myself, and yes you do have to play on insane [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Irenicus:
Hmmm..... learned something today. But dont u think that not doing those NPC side quests is kind of stink? And in the beginning hanging around that dungeon without a thief is gonna have u ended up being blasted to pieces by those traps...
Usually when you are soloing, you know the game in such depth, that you know where all the traps are. Other possible ways of getting around the traps are: being a mage (most people(me included) take either a mage or multi/dual classed mage) and casting protective spells, or being a fighter so you have enough hp to survive the traps.

[ 09-06-2002, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: White Lancer ]

whacky 09-06-2002 07:35 AM

Here's how i solo
No npc's ever, no game editing, .............. and xp cap removers, that's cause one of my favorite things in games is leveling up so if i dont keep leveling up i get bored and leave :D