Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Computer Troubles.... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92731)

Jerry_Seinfeld 01-15-2005 12:21 PM

Ok, Ive been having some very annoying internet problems lately and I'd appreciate anyone who could help me. Whenever I go on the internet, it works fine, until another window opens up, such as a popup or I decide to open two windows. Whenever I close an internet window browser, a popup, or pretty much anything internet related, my whole internet shuts down and I get one of those windows asking if I'd like to send an error report. But the weird thing is, I am using a windows XP and I share it with someone else, when I go on another user account, the problem doesnt happen. This problem is driving me nuts, is it due to spyware, a virus or what? Thanks in advance for any help.

philip 01-15-2005 12:39 PM

Well there's a way to find out if it's a virus or spyware. IE is a huge security hole so you might want to consider another browser as well.

To check for spyware use Spybot search& destroy and adaware SE, both of them are free. For viruses you can do an online scan, I think Trendhouse Micro is being recommended a lot. Also use the virus scanner you have installed (I hope ;) ).

Zuvio 01-15-2005 04:10 PM

Service pack 2 can also be very helpful.

Albromor 01-15-2005 04:56 PM

What phillip said and I found Trendmicro to be an excellent online scan that is 100% free. Do you have a firewall? I highly recommend getting one especially if you have cable modem. I had someone put a back-door loader on my harddisk just prior to my installing a fire wall and to make a long story short I lost the harddrive and a good deal of files. And I had all kinds of issues such as yours. Even with a hard reformat we couldn't get it deleted from the harddrive. So new harddrive along with new installs.

By the way Spybot is very good, but AdawareSE discovered some things SB didn't.

Sir Degrader 01-15-2005 06:00 PM

Wooot Zuvio got his sig back! Anyway,
A) Use Firefox as an internet browser, not IE.
B) SpySweeper is the best IMO anti spyware program. DL it.

Jerry_Seinfeld 01-15-2005 08:26 PM

Ive scanned my computer, no viruses, unless I have spyware on my nortan anti-virus. I also have a firewall, but I had spybot S&D but now I get and error report when I use that!!! If I uninstall then reinstall SB S&D will it work? Or can anyone give a link for another spyware deleter?

Bungleau 01-15-2005 10:50 PM

My two favorite spyware removers are Ad-Aware and Spybot. I also like to use HiJack This as well; it operates differently, and isn't as user-friendly. I would install the latest versions of all three of them.

If it's only happening on one account, it may very well be spyware. Try cleaning from the infected account, and then try from an uninfected oned if the first one fails.