Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My trip to Western Europe (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89724)

uss 04-02-2004 09:18 AM

I went trippin' for 2 weeks in West Europe just this summer.

Germany - Doesn't have all that many nice-looking girls [img]tongue.gif[/img] but great cars! BMWs and Mercedes' all around the streets of Berlin! We left Berlin the evening when the Love Parade began - a cool experience, seeing all sorts of weird people enjoying destroying things and policemen trying to keep them out of trouble. Many turks all around. Lots' of black leather and metal chain wearing retired old bikers around south of Germany. HEIDE PARK is a very nice theme park to go to!

Austria - We passed through Austria by car in the middle of the night. I saw only a small bit of the mountains that sleepless night. Breath taking. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Italy - We reached Italy at 6 AM. No hotels are open at that time, so we were forced to sleep in the car at a car park, where others were doing the same. I have to admit that my first impression of it was that I hated it. The sun had already risen and made me sweat all over. I saw a boy of similar age to mine. He looked like a mafioso from The Godfather or Goodfellas or something, and was cleaning other people's cars for money. I smirked at the thought, but quickly stopped when I started thinking if he really is such a person.
We got moving again a bit later, which was when I saw grape fields, green mountains and went for a swim in a coast alongside the Adrian Sea. Then I realized how beautiful Italy is. We went to the Colosseum, Pisa tower, Venecia and other cultural places. Nice looking girls! VERY nice cars in Rome! The roads and car driving system was horrible [img]tongue.gif[/img] and it seemed like there is an outstanding sum of car accidents each year. The very last place that we visited in Italy was Mont Blanc, the mountain between Italy and France. It was a great experience to swim in the lake in top of one of the mountains there! In the end, Italy left the best impression of the countries there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

France - Oh my god, how cute the girls were in France!! Paris was the most astounding city in the whole trip. Seeing the Eiffel tower spark at 00:00 PM.. wow. Nice museums and other such places. Slightly bad car driving but still incomparable to what I saw in Italy. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The Netherlands - RED LIGHT DISTRICT!! :D It surely was a great experience to go there, to see.. well, you know what. Very weird country. I saw a coffee shop(where they sell marijuana) which's window had 'Support your local dealer' written on it and a fitting picture also. Then I saw a very peciluar image on a sign, which obviously was leading to a toiletroom. Then I saw a hotel with a very strange name, but I can't remember what it was. Heineken seemed to be very popular there.

All in all, I'd have to say that Estonia is very different from Western European countries. Here, the crowd has MUCH MUCH less variety. Far less than 1% of the people here are asian, black, arabian, indian or any other type of people that has other than white skin. You can't see any gangs of retired old black leather wearing bikers, innaturally coloured haired people, gay people, handicapped people or 40 year old men who sing Shania Twain out loud by themselves in a shop(like I saw in France) in Estonia. Estonia seems to be a whole lot more calm, peaceful and simple. I'd rather live here than in one of the before-mentioned countries.

Which is not to say that I did not enjoy this trip. It most surely was an astonishing experience, which might be good for preperation for what might come - Estonia's transformation of internationalism. If that does happen, it might be in a while, cause of Estonia's harsh policy towards immigrants, making families of immigrants rather go to some other country.

Or maybe Estonia's transformation will start the moment we enter the EU? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Donut 04-02-2004 10:37 AM

Oh dear!

So there are no gay people in Estonia then? No gangs of handicapped people?

johnny 04-02-2004 11:00 AM

No redlight districts either ? :D

uss 04-02-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Donut:
Oh dear!

So there are no gay people in Estonia then? No gangs of handicapped people?

Not really [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ok, yes, there are of course, but they tend to keep that to themselves. What I mean is that when you walk in a street in Tallinn, you can't see nearly as much variety in people passing by as you can see in Berlin, Rome or Paris.

Arledrian 04-02-2004 05:24 PM

Cool one, Pets. Glad you had a good time. Not so sure I approve of you calling Holland "weird" but you know, each to his own. Hope you're takin' care of yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]

Vaskez 04-02-2004 05:56 PM

So what you're saying worm, is that Estonia is much more conservative and homogenous. I'm not surprised about that since there is not so much reason for immigration there. But glad you enjoyed your trip to western Europe.

uss 04-02-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Arledrian:
Cool one, Pets. Glad you had a good time. Not so sure I approve of you calling Holland "weird" but you know, each to his own. Hope you're takin' care of yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]
I mean 'weird' in a good way. 'Weird' as in.. 'interesting.' [img]tongue.gif[/img] I liked Holland very much, really. The people were nice and all.

uss 04-02-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaskez:
So what you're saying worm, is that Estonia is much more conservative and homogenous. I'm not surprised about that since there is not so much reason for immigration there. But glad you enjoyed your trip to western Europe.
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Were it not for the strict policy, I think there would be reason to come to Estonia - low prices and all.

Arledrian 04-02-2004 06:13 PM

Yeah, but no income either. [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D

Sir Degrader 04-03-2004 01:27 PM

Look at Marseilles in France, and you can see why Estonians are tough on immigration. Seems like every day I lived in Belgium the news was always on about how racial tensions were on borderline open war, it wasn't exactly a very nice evening news report on TV5.

[ 04-03-2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]