Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Where's Ferro? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45793)

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 06-23-2003 02:04 AM

I went back to Ferro after my night of bliss and low and behold; he's not there!!
I have the dirty feeling he died in a combat! (I seriously hope I'm wrong) (and, no, I don't have an old save game 'cos I shouldn't need it)

I tried to keep all the combat away from him and I'm pretty sure I did just that. There are no items on the floor where he was. Does anybody know if he's elsewhere; 'cos if he is dead I'll be mad as hell! How can the shop keeper with the best weapons die? They really should have left him and any other NPC'S like this out of the combats.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 06-23-2003 02:12 AM

Ooops, I just found his stuff! And it was far away from his counter. I don't know what he was doing in that area since I had no combat there myself. Now what the heck am I going to do?

EEWorzelle 06-23-2003 02:42 AM

Farseer, it is indeed a frustrating circumstance.

Your choices now are bad but simple. You can either do without the stuff Ferro sells and makes (you can do this), or you can reload your latest save prior to his death.

Sometimes it is best to turn left and go for Templar status before getting anywhere near Ferro.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 06-23-2003 07:46 AM

A, "less than extraordinary exploit".

Well, I'll have do without him. I still can't believe he was that far from his shop though. I just get in the habit of only quick saving. I keep thinking there's an autosave everytime I enter an area.

Wereboar 06-23-2003 12:14 PM

NPC's join the fight when an enemy is near them, even if they are far away from you. Maybe Ferro was activated by some Rapax which fled from you, and followed him, and got killed by him.

gator 06-23-2003 01:32 PM

Not that this will help you now, but perhaps for anyone else....

1. I always cast my buff spells (Armorplate, Missile Shield, Magic Screen, and Enchanted Blade) next to Ferro when in the main level of Rapax Castle. This will always make him a little more formitable (then he can actually hit something).

2. Make sure that you are always aware of where Ferro is on your radar (with X-Ray running). If I am about to enter a fight with Rapax and there are red dots by Ferro, then I will run to were he is if the fight has already started, or engage the Rapax next to Ferro. I try to cast Elemental Shield/Soul Shield next to Ferro.

3. Always watch the combat text for Ferro's name if I am remotely close to him.

Ziggurat 06-23-2003 06:45 PM

I had a least one game where I thought I had drawn off the attackers and had to reverse course to defend Ferro. I saw his name listed during combat so I had to click on the radar to see his enemy. When I got there it turned out to be a Rapax Samarai, who was "cleaning his clock" (not sure where that phrase comes from, but it's weird).

There have been other times I was standing next to him and as soon as he finished with his enemy he went out in the hall searching for more (he couldn't reach the ones I was fighting). Good AI, but can be frustrating.

[ 06-23-2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]

EEWorzelle 06-23-2003 07:25 PM

To be more specific about "turn left," I usually stop just inside the castle, far from Ferro, at the first wall a few feet inside the entrance where only a couple at a time can come at me. When all enemies are dead,I hug the left wall then proceed directly away from Ferro until a Templar.

As Wereboar and Ziggurat pointed out, even these precautions are not a guarantee, but I have never had Ferro die in my games.

It is possible that one thing I never do is scatter enemies. I never cast Fear, Blind nor any of the clouds that might have a similar, "scattering" effect. What I do is damage and kill. Very little, if any, gets away. I use cone and area effect spells mostly, but also melee with my Bard and RPCs and possibly Priest.

Scattering effects can easly create the situation Wereboar describes. For example, a blinded Rapax Samurai might run out of the room, on the Ferro side, then, if still blinded, run again. If your luck is bad, when they are no longer blind, a convenient enemy, Ferro, might be only a few feet away.

So avoiding spells and ammo like that helps.

ChaosTheorist 06-23-2003 10:48 PM

Quote:

It is possible that one thing I never do is scatter enemies. I never cast Fear, Blind nor any of the clouds that might have a similar, "scattering" effect.....

So avoiding spells and ammo like that helps.

Excellent point. That's why I never buy Antone's Fear bolts, but buy Anna's Hunter Quarrels instead: I don't want them scared, running away--I want them dead. Nor do I use Sonic Boom; it's a "long" range spell to start with, so you just have farther to chase them in order to kill them.

However, Blinding Flash does come in handy against caster types in constrained-area zones like Trynton, or anywhere where I can stand in the doorway that is the only exit from a room. Being able to blind the Sprites before they start throwing spells at me has helped a lot in Trynton.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 06-23-2003 10:51 PM

There have been other times I was standing next to him and as soon as he finished with his enemy he went out in the hall searching for more (he couldn't reach the ones I was fighting). Good AI, but can be frustrating.

I think that must have happened 'cos he was far from his shop.

As far as casting stuff around him; well I had an all fighter party so that was out.