Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What is the only thing worth believing? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91645)

<font color=skyblue>

Time for a spritual corner..

What is the only thing or person you believe in?

Be it god or love... tell us =)

</font>

StigTC 09-15-2004 07:13 AM

It be yourself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

aleph_null1 09-15-2004 07:15 AM

May I believe in the general goodness of mankind?

Hivetyrant 09-15-2004 07:56 AM

I believe that you should do what is right for yourself.

Stratos 09-15-2004 08:28 AM

I have a very strong belief in the little voice in my head that tells me that this thread is awfully close to touching the ban on religious discussions. ;)

Cloudbringer 09-15-2004 08:34 AM

Sorry, Avatar, but there is a moratorium on religious discussions at this time. So you either have to keep off the topic of religion and religious beliefs or the thread will be closed.

Saying one is religious or believes in God/Budha/Allah or an other god/being is fine but discussion of the religion or their beliefs isn't, I'm afraid. Being religious minded isn't 'banned', just discussions on the topic.

It's too bad but some people just get too fired up over the topic that they can't avoid flaming and heating things up. So in the interests of peace and threads that don't turn into muck throwing and namecalling Z had to impose the ban. :(

[ 09-15-2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]

philip 09-15-2004 08:44 AM

Nothing.

Everything is vague or relative and from most things I don't think you'll ever find out how they really work or what they are. And before I'm going to believe in something higher power I'll first have to know the complete idea of it before submitting myself to something unknown. edit: maybe this was a bit too religious? Maybe I should say I neither believe in nor think god(s) are complete nonsense (no discussion! Cloudy was this ok with what you meant with your warning? If so please delete this and don't lock the topic

I don't believe in anything human as we always get things screwed up. But believing in the complete failure of human race would too much as there are still some things that seem ok (to my limited "knowledge") like love and friendship. But even those don't seem the right thing cause as soon as groups of people are going to do something chances are high it gets out of hand. I can't believe in balance, though I think it's important. But who knows what's right or wrong or if that's just something humans came up with cause they need something to believe in. So neither could I believe in values. Believing in doubt since it's the only thing that's sure is both not so original and I don't think it's necesarry to believe in something that's proven.

For now I just form an opinion based on stuff used on this world (that's the only way I can describe it [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but I don't believe in it as in thinking it's the 'real' truth. I don't think anything can't be true but the problem is always that ideas or stories are written or interpreted by humans.

Hmm this post is a bit longer than I intended and of course when I post this I'll notice I forgot something or have to revise things a bit. But this is a great thread [img]smile.gif[/img] I think I'm sure I'll be back with more later

[ 09-15-2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: philip ]

Cloudbringer 09-15-2004 08:49 AM

Sorry, I thought it might be ok, but I can see it's not going to be possible for this to go on without people discussing the 'why's' of their beliefs (why they do or don't believe in a 'higher power' which in turn becomes a religious discussion if anyone answers it) so I'm pulling the plug.

I'm a very religious person and don't mind discussing things to a point but the rules are the rules and I have to work. We Mods just don't have the time to police every thread and this one's got 'religious discussion' and potential overheating written all over it.

edit: no worries, philip, the thread's premise is just one that will normally bring out more discussion and you were only answering the initial questions so you didn't do a thing wrong in that respect, I just can see that the thread will end up where it shouldn't be, by the nature of the topic

[ 09-15-2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]