Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   soloing... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9444)

Ilythiiri 09-10-2002 05:52 AM

hey.. i finally have the time to start on soloing.. (sorry i was quite busy these few days) i was thinking.. what class should i choose? any advice? did any of you start with a cleric or druid or a wild mage? coz these classes seems interesting.. there are just too many pple playing monks, kensai/mage, sorcerer...

Indemaijinj 09-10-2002 05:53 AM

Yes, the bullets from the sling of Everand DOES count as +5 weapons, though they only get +2 to damage IIRC. The sling was made by a god and it's power illustrates this fact nicely. A must have for many soloists.

Wands of the Heavens can be found several places. You can loot one from the temple of Talos and I think you can buy one from another temple too. Wands of the Heavens are supposed to be cleric only items and most people agree that having a monk use them is exploiting a bug and as such minor cheating. If you can't stand the temptation there is a bugfix from Baldurdash.

And besides: You are teh 3vil kung fu fighter and you aren't supposed running around waving wands. Let the enemies taste the dust on your bare feet instead.

[ 09-10-2002, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Indemaijinj ]

Jon Irenicus 09-10-2002 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ilythiiri:
hey.. i finally have the time to start on soloing.. (sorry i was quite busy these few days) i was thinking.. what class should i choose? any advice? did any of you start with a cleric or druid or a wild mage? coz these classes seems interesting.. there are just too many pple playing monks, kensai/mage, sorcerer...
U r quite right on the fact that many people play Monks, I'm one of them, but I just can't say no to my favourite classes. Anyway, advice on the classes for soloing, try a bard, u might like it... just that u might want to know - bards r really hard to play, they r completely useless in other words... Or how about trying a Stalker? I quite like that class...

Thuram 09-10-2002 01:21 PM

You can try the Blade kit of a bard. I think this is an interesting character although a Fighter/Mage or Thief/Mage might be stronger. Anyway, as I understand you are looking for something different. The Blade with his offensive and defensive spin I think will give you some fun (and headache) to play.

When I finish soloing the Monk, (if I have time) I am planning to play a Stalker/Cleric (backstab, dual wield, cleric+druid+minor mage spells, turn undead ...)

An other interesting combination could be the Kensai/Druid. Too bad one can't have two kits, I would choose a Kensai/Avenger o Kensai/Shapeshifter. I think you retain your THACO when you shapeshift and get a better AC. Don't know about the damage bonuses ...

Ilythiiri 09-13-2002 05:53 AM

ok... i started solo on a half-orc cleric/thief
i m now doing the slaver quests..
just wanted to know as a cleric/thief what weapons do you recommend? and do you recommend i dual-wield?

Lord Lothar 09-13-2002 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ilythiiri:
ok... i started solo on a half-orc cleric/thief
i m now doing the slaver quests..
just wanted to know as a cleric/thief what weapons do you recommend? and do you recommend i dual-wield?

Cleric/Thieves cannot put more than 1 point into any proficiency so you will get REALLY BAD penalties to your THACO if you dual wield. I recommend the +2 club near the druid grove if you plan to backstab, or just stick to the trusty Flail of Ages.