Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A question for people who can write german... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89184)

Skydracgrrl 01-28-2004 09:51 PM

My friend, in an attempt to be romantic, is trying to tell her boyfriend in his native tongue that "she thinks she may be falling in love with him." Of course, having taken two classes and a few hours spent at home over a german dictionary, I'm automatically her offical "german speaker." So, before she sends a letter to him saying something absolutely wrong (ex: Ich bin ein Berliner! ;) ), I thought I would check with the german speakers here.

This is allowed in this forum, right? [img]graemlins/laughsaywhat.gif[/img] I don't think you can get more general than this [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's the english and what I believe to be the correct german translation of it. If anyone knows the proper german translation, please let me know ;)

"I think I am falling in love with you."

"Ich denke, daß ich in Sie verliebe."

Danke! [img]smile.gif[/img]

johnny 01-28-2004 09:59 PM

Ich denke das ich mich in dich verliebt habe.

Or something like that. :D

Sir Goulum 01-28-2004 11:29 PM

I'm taking german in school and I can tell you this: Ich means I [img]tongue.gif[/img] sorry, don't know much more than that yet :(

Skydracgrrl 01-29-2004 04:16 AM

Hehe, thanx Sir Goulum and johnny. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think your translation is a little too literal, johnny, but it seems to be the closest one yet. [img]smile.gif[/img] Perhaps there is a german phrase that one uses that means about the same thing..?

Faceman 01-29-2004 05:13 AM

johnny's translation is fine, correct spelling would be: Ich denke , dass ich mich in dich verliebt habe.
meaning "I think that I've fallen in love with you." literally.
A bit more casual would be
"Ich glaube, Ich hab' mich in dich verliebt."
= "I think I've fallen in love with you."

But I think you wanted to say "I AM fallING in love"
The correct (phrasal) translation for that would be:
"Ich glaube, ich bin dabei mich in dich zu verlieben."

Jorath Calar 01-29-2004 05:39 AM

Ah German grammar... you could study it for 10.000 years and still don't get it right... [img]smile.gif[/img]

RoSs_bg2_rox 01-29-2004 06:37 AM

hmm, maybe someone should take you up on that Jorath! :D

Link 01-29-2004 07:27 AM

Go Johnny, our own Dutch German window cleaner! ;)

johnny 01-29-2004 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Link:
Go Johnny, our own Dutch German window cleaner! ;)
I grew up with Derrick. :D

Jorath Calar 01-29-2004 09:26 AM

Das name sagst mir nichts... [img]smile.gif[/img]