Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   NeverWinter Nights, is it worth it for me to Buy? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92693)

AngelofDeath 01-07-2005 11:58 AM

So here's the dilly, I currently own BG2, IWD 1& 2..... I have a gift card burning a whole in my pocket, and I need another game. Do you think it is worth it to purchase the game? Can it be played and enjoyed without going online and playing, not that I am opposed to that.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

johnny 01-07-2005 12:00 PM

Dude, it's in the bargainbins these days. Even if you would be dissapointed with game, which you most likely won't, 10$ isn't gonna kill you.

Blunderbuss 01-07-2005 12:01 PM

I was in a similar situation not long ago. I bought Neverwinter Nights and have enjoyed it so far. However, make sure you have the specified specifications as you want to make sure you get smooth gameplay to get the most from the game.

RoSs_bg2_rox 01-07-2005 12:01 PM

I think you should get it, but only if you plan on getting NWN Gold, which contains the Shadows of Undrentide (the expansion) too. Then pick up Hordes of the Underdark (the other expansion too)

Alternatively get the set which has all 3, I just can't remember the name of it :D

Basically, the OC isn't the best, a bit boring at time in my opinion, but the expansions are good, and there are some good bridge mods too.

It comes to it's best online though, and you should really try Zirocs server, Escape from Undermountain for hours of fun.

Blunderbuss 01-07-2005 12:03 PM

The set containing both expansion packs alongside the game is called the Deluxe Edition in Britain and the Platinum edition in th USA, I believe.

RoSs_bg2_rox 01-07-2005 12:06 PM

Platinum came to mind, but I didn't recall that over here. Deluxe it is then. When I got it that wasn't out yet, so I was a gold then HotU guy.

Xen 01-07-2005 12:58 PM

Yes it can be enjoyed online. So I suggest you go and buy it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bahamut 01-07-2005 02:18 PM

Look for Platinum because it has all the expansions + the main game :D

Legolas 01-07-2005 03:07 PM

As a single player game, without internet connection, I doubt it's worth it. If you are able to download the various custom modules and/or share your own modules with other players, it becomes much more worthwile.

The multiplayer experience is, in my experience, the most enjoyable part of it all. The many different types of game allow you to find modules and players who share your ideas on what is good fun.

The biggest downside is that it's not the latest thing in gaming anymore, and more and more people move on to other games so it's not quite as busy as before. Nevertheless, it's far from deserted.

Lucern 01-07-2005 05:51 PM

Speaking from an unmodded, un-expanded POV, do not buy the original. You'll save money if you buy the Platinum edition - if you think you'll like it. Platinum is less than most games now anyway.

I didn't even finish the original campaign, which is rare. I was just bored by it. I also thought it'd be more faithful to the DnD rules. I had much more fun making a little world that never went anywhere. That engine has some power to it, and I have little doubt that the creative minds out there have made some spectacular realms to play in. Think of it like buying a system that'll allow you to download and upgrade far more than it was meant to be taken [img]smile.gif[/img]