Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Scams? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92392)

Dron_Cah 11-30-2004 06:59 PM

Recently through my college mail I have been getting some offers for on-line employment "oppurtunities." The usual is the "mystery shoppers" and the reviewing and commenting on products job. Has anyone had experience with these? I'm very cynical, especially with getting two of the same thing. Thanks in advance! [img]smile.gif[/img]

LennonCook 11-30-2004 07:05 PM

<span style="color: lightblue">If noone asked for them, assume that they are scams. If they aren't, the fact that they polute your email without your asking or explicit permission is unwelcome.

Dron_Cah 11-30-2004 08:59 PM

True, but as far as advertisement, it's a viable option. Still curious if anyone else has any experience with these. [img]graemlins/Bump.gif[/img]

RoSs_bg2_rox 12-01-2004 01:09 PM

Well what is the email address? Does it sound viable? And the website, what does it look like? And what do you actually have to do to get the job etc? Fill in a form or what? Also look for anything with credit cards in it, that is definately going to be a scam in this case.

Dron_Cah 12-01-2004 01:19 PM

Not much, really, Ross. The website I looked at was fairly legit, but they do ask for a beginning fee, or some horse sh^t like that. The e-mail address from the first was a "@esurveysolutions.org" thing. I wasn't planning on doing this, unless someone else may have tried it, and had good things to say about it. Guessing not. Oh well, maybe I'll get a real job, or something. (Doubt that one!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Chewbacca 12-01-2004 02:04 PM

It's probably a scam, most work-from-home deals like this are. One of the biggest clues is the required starter fee.

Anyway, do some research on google using the search terms "work from home scams" There are several sites and forums dedicated to revealing the real scoop on these kinds of offers

harleyquinn 12-01-2004 02:27 PM

Absolutely any job that asks you to pay is a scam. Unless you're purchasing franchising rights, there would never be an "upfront" fee, no matter how small.

It's a scam.
If you really want to be a secret shopper, call someplace like Burger King, for example, and ask them how they get shoppers (they do use them) and then contact that company directly.

Dron_Cah 12-01-2004 04:34 PM

Thank you. IW saves my lazy butt from actually research, again!! :D ;)

Bungleau 12-02-2004 12:18 AM

If you want to do some easy research, go to scambusters.org. They've researched and identified a number of the scams out there.