Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   AGP... Am I in trouble? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91629)

Jorath Calar 09-13-2004 08:23 PM

I just ordered a new graphics card, I read few reviews and liked this one that is fairly cheap and seems good, I plan to go tomorrow and pick it up . However, I noticed it says it's for AGP 8x, I didn't think much of it until right now when I installed a program called 3d Mark and checked my system info and saw that my motherboard only supports 4x AGP... what does that mean, can I still use the new Graphic card?

Luvian 09-13-2004 08:31 PM

No, I don't think you will be able. Do you have time to cancel it?

Jorath Calar 09-13-2004 08:33 PM

Yes I still can cancel :( (but would really hate to...)

Stormymystic 09-13-2004 08:38 PM

if it only supports a 4x, there is very little chance of running an 8x agp on it. however if you do wish to go ahead and try, and it does work, it will most likely be just as bad as what you are doing now, in other words lagging, and sticking on the system. can you find a new motherboard? I am not sure how much they run, but if you still wish to buy that, then at least upgrade the motherboard too ;)

Jorath Calar 09-13-2004 09:19 PM

Heh, I asked on another forum (soory guys [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and apparantly the card works on 8x, 4x and 2x. 8x is simply the max speed... phew. Can't wait to go pick up the damn thing tomoorow... :D

I just upgraded the motherboard (and the cpu) last year and would hate to have to do it until at least 2006... but I am an hopeless optimist... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oblivion437 09-13-2004 09:24 PM

Yeah, suppose someone invented a 16X AGP BUS, you'd be able to put a 16X and get full amperage, but you'd be unable to get such power on a 4X slot. Not that it matters.

Few users ever manage to saturate a 4X AGP BUS...

Felix The Assassin 09-14-2004 01:15 AM

Most moderen hardware is backwards compatible. Yes, you can run an 8x in a 4x MB, SOMETIMES!

NOW, you need to check the voltage requirments for the card you want. Then find out the voltage of your MB. If it's the same, your good to go. If it's not the same, you can't use the new card!

The manufacturer website is where you can find this, it will be under specifications. If you don't have the book for your MB, then go to that website and find it.

Hivetyrant 09-14-2004 01:41 AM

I dont know what you are all talking about, of coarse you can, all AGP graphics cards are backwards compatible, although the newwest ones will not work in AGP2x, the motherboard will just limit what the card can do..
Ive had a RADEON 9800 SE running on a 4x AGP slot, and that card is still one of the best.
I dont think you should cancel it.

Animal 09-14-2004 02:03 AM

As long as the card supports 3.3V AGP 4X and your board has an AGP Universal slot, you'll be fine. The card will run at 4X not 8X, although there's not much of a difference between the two.

Harkoliar 09-14-2004 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Oblivion437:
Yeah, suppose someone invented a 16X AGP BUS, you'd be able to put a 16X and get full amperage, but you'd be unable to get such power on a 4X slot. Not that it matters.

Few users ever manage to saturate a 4X AGP BUS...

i dont think its going to happen. pci express dual video cards is the latest thing now. Its expensive but it would be a WOW to look at if you ever had those babies :D .