Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   full exp 100% (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36954)

Nightwing 01-17-2006 09:56 AM

I keep seeing this mentioned but what is it and is it worth doing?

Nightowl2 01-17-2006 11:24 AM

The original Neverwinter Nights has experience set to only 10% of what it actually is. For example, if you kill a critter and get 4 points, it would be 40 if experience were 100%. It's one way Bioware controlled advancement in the game, because max level in the OC was, I believe, set at 20.

You can get around that by editing the individual OC modules and setting the mod experience slider to 100% or anything you like up to 200%. Keep in mind that would have no effect on games already in progress. You'd have to start a new game to see the difference.

Quite some time back, I set my OC to 200% (go for the gusto!) and came in with level 21 characters. And yes, the difference was noticeable in several ways. Of course, I didn't bother with the prelude; I just went right into chapter 1.

The only caveat is to avoid having a class level hit 21 or higher; very odd things happen with the experience. Character level (sum of all classes) is not a problem.

I can provide insructions if you want to try this out sometime.

<center>Nightowl2</center>

Nightwing 01-17-2006 12:53 PM

Yes that would be interesting to see how it works. Although the game seems pretty balanced i'm finishing chapter one now and am a 6th level Ranger. I should get to 7th when i turn in the last component. Are the encounters scaled or will they be the same?

Nightowl2 01-17-2006 01:50 PM

The game partly scales. All the fixed encounters (such as with Gulnan, etc.) will be pretty much the same. However, street encounters are another matter. You will find more - many more - enemies roaming around, and they will be tougher versions. Zombie warriors and ghoul lords in Beggar's Nest, for instance. Many more gang leaders with magic in Peninsula, both the streets and the prisons. Dire spiders instead of fire beetles under the Tanglebrook house. Keep in mind that I was also taking in a high-level character.

That's really why I did up the experience. Partly it was curiosity, but I really wanted to get up into the epic levels. In the OC's, that's only possible in HoTU, and even there, you don't advance very far.

So here's what you need to do:

1. In the /NWN/NWM directory, back up the files Chapter 1, 1E, 2, 2E, 3, and 4 (just in case something terrible happens!).

2. Copy those same files to /NWN/modules. Edit the files to change the extension from .nwm to .mod, and uncheck the "read only" box in properties. Save.

3. Bring up the toolset, and open each mod in it. On the top toolbar, choose Edit/Module Properties/Advanced. Change the slider to what you want. Save.

4. When all mods have been changed, rename them back to .nwm and copy them back to the /NWN/NWM directory.

5. Start a new game, preferably with an advanced character, in chapter 1.

Remember existing saves are not affected by this, so you can also play anything started before without problems.

<center>Nightowl2</center>

Nightwing 01-17-2006 02:15 PM

Cool!

Target 02-02-2006 10:52 AM

What % did you set yours to and are you enjoying it?

Zink Whistlefly 02-02-2006 12:15 PM

They constantly seem to muck around with the XP in the OC. It's been ages since I played it, but once upon a time I could hit level 20, then a while after that I was finishing around level 18 - what's the norm level these days for a character finishing the OC with the default XP percentage?

Nightwing 02-02-2006 01:19 PM

I'm still trying to finish HoU but after that I think I will go for 50%. I am finding on normal difficulty my Bard 6, Rouge 6, Arcane Artcher 10 it is real easy. I may have to up the difficulty if I do full exp.

Target 02-03-2006 04:37 AM

I'm thinking of doing the same, I've just got to the bit where I have to direct a battle?? after I complete HoU, it might be back to the OC and up the exp.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 02-03-2006 05:36 AM

I was just talking about this last week when I asked about level squatting. I would really just like to get the fill exp every time. I just it too boring otherwise. I mean, to kill a tough Lich and 400exp, that's just stupid.

So yes, I'd like to know how it's done since I'm just starting a new game anyway.