Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Finally Sarted Playing!!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35930)

pritchke 02-27-2004 09:26 AM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">WoW!!! This game is so detailed and amazing. The camera control is one of the best ever, and easy to use.

OK last night I started with a Bard just for fun from the very start with the tutorial. I was quite amazed with the entire game so far. My question is should I start the game with a Bard or is this a difficult class for starting out?

The other thing is it has one of the best opening movies I have ever seen in a game with the fight with the minatour. OK I have been depriving myself and finally got a new 2.8 GHz machine, vs my 350MHz, with now 10 times the memory. </font>

[ 02-27-2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

Target 02-27-2004 09:43 AM

Enjoy the game!!

I've only used a fighter/Barbarian combo and a Monk. I think the monk is one of the easiest to play from what others have written.
But if you enjoy the bard, play the bard.

philip 02-27-2004 09:59 AM

You've got to make the right decisions if you're playing a not so easy class. If you're familiair with p&p 3rd edition you should be able to do it easily. If you're not, like when I started a single wrong choice can make your game really hard.

pritchke 02-27-2004 10:14 AM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Familiair with IWD2 but there is a difference as you create a party as opposed to a single character. So I think that makes a little less room for mistakes.

Does the Bard get the same songs as IWD2?</font>

[ 02-27-2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

philip 02-27-2004 10:39 AM

I don't know. IWD2 is 3rd as well isn't it. In NWN you get 1 song that improves you and your familiair's fighting ability. There's also a curse song in HotU which IIRC you can take at lower levels as well. That one gives a lot of penalties to your enemies.

NWN is pretty hack&slash that's what I'm warning for. Your character should be able to fight on his own. Some classes have a harder start, such as the bard. Because they're jack of all trades they are less good in everything. Though I suppose they might be easier to play than wizards or sorcerers

If you make sure he can kick quite hard it's OK. If you have low strength and high dex I'd try to get weapon finesse as soon as possible as without it's going to be really hard hitting serious enemies

pritchke 02-27-2004 10:53 AM

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Thanks Philip that is what I was looking for. I think I may start over but still not sure what yet. Fighter, Ranger, or Paladin????</font>

[ 02-27-2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

philip 02-27-2004 11:18 AM

Fighter is quite a good class I think. I haven't played one in NWN itself, I did it in SoU. The only disadvantage was that my fighter couldn't do much about spellcasters, he had a really hard time then.

As a fighter you get a lot of feats so you can get a lot of special abilities. The best is if you read all the feats for fighters in the manual and then decide what to focus on. Like going for cleave or knockdown and find the shortest route to that in terms of abilities and feats.

I haven't played a ranger myself, neither in p&p so I can't give a good opinion on it.

Paladins are basically fighters with some divine casting abilities, though I don't think they end up with high level spells. I haven't played this class either.

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-27-2004 11:53 AM

It is my experience that trueclassed Sorcs and Clerics are the easiest to play. Perhaps this is because I'm used to using spell rather than sword, but the fact of the matter remains that you can get a henchman to absorb the physical damage until you're high enough level to cast Stoneskin. Then, it's anything goes.

Stratos 02-27-2004 11:57 AM

A Bard is probably the most difficult class to start out as as the Official Campaign of Neverwinter Nights is very combat-oriented. It still very possible to finish the game with a Bard, you'll just have to be clever and improvise from time to time.

Warrior classes are easier to start out as, but play whatever you want to. You can hire henchmen later (just one at a time), so hire someone that compliment your skills and abilities.

Albromor 02-27-2004 12:35 PM

Hey, pritchke, enjoy! I have found clerics to be a really fun class to play. You get to wear armor, can become decent fighters, and I absolutely love their defensie as well as offensive spells. A really good combination.