Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Questions about Cleric/Ranger (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13067)

Cristian 06-12-2003 08:08 AM

ok i want to make an Cleric/Ranger dual class do i need to be a human to dual class? and which class shall i start and then duall to should i start ranger or should i start cleric? and must i be a regular ranger or can i chose some of the kits like wizard slayer? and when should i dual?

[ 06-12-2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Cristian ]

Pirengle 06-12-2003 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cristian:
ok i want to make an Cleric/Ranger dual class do i need to be a human to dual class? and which class shall i start and then duall to should i start ranger or should i start cleric? and must i be a regular ranger or can i chose some of the kits like wizard slayer? and when should i dual?
To answer your first question, only humans can dual-class. You can find out more about dual-classing by reading the newly-updated FAQ. (So many people asked questions about dual-classing that Dundee updated the FAQ to include everything anyone ever wanted to know about dual-classing.)

Humans also need at least 15 in CON and at least 17 in WIS in order to dual class from ranger to cleric, which IMO is the better way to go, especially if you have ToB. I've played rangers-turned clerics, I've played clerics-turned-rangers, and I've played multiclass ranger/clerics. Best way to go is ranger/cleric dual at level 10 or 11, or a half-elven or full elven ranger/cleric multiclass. (Best thing about being a ranger/cleric: they're the ONLY cleric class that gets access to druid spells, thanks to their ranger half.)

To answer your second question, you're better off NOT taking a kit with your ranger class. There are too many weird restrictions on the ranger kits that are livable when you're a pureclass ranger but can pose a serious setback when you dual. (If you multiclass, you can't take kits, period.)

The Archer kit is automatically out, since that won't help you when you're a cleric. (It doesn't cover slings.) I don't think Beast Masters can wear armor, and they can't use metal weapons, which rules out most of cleric's weapon choices. A Stalker/cleric would be the best way to go if you have SoA only, because you can backstab (or backwhack, as the case may be) with just about any weapon in the game. Imagine a Crom Faeyr hit with double or even triple backstab! Ouch! (Note: this changes if you have ToB installed; a stalker can only backstab using weapons a thief could use, which again rules out most of the cleric's weapon choices!) You can only wear up to studded leather armor with this kit, IIRC.

Indemaijinj 06-12-2003 09:49 AM

I don't think hammers are elegible backstab weapons.

Staves are however.

waverider 06-12-2003 11:21 AM

half-elves can dual to...

Xen 06-12-2003 11:45 AM

Cleric/Ranger Multi-Class just rock.
Here`s why-->They get all the good spells,they can be really protected,have Turn Undead and get abilities from both pools.-but this is only my opinion.
Do a search on Aragorn`s story.

[ 06-12-2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]

Alson 06-12-2003 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by waverider:
half-elves can dual to...
Er... no. ;)

Only Humans are allowed to Dual Class. Check the thread called Forum Guidelines And FAQ for more detailed information.

[ 06-12-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]

Stratos 06-12-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xen:
Cleric/Ranger Multi-Class just rock.
Here`s why-->They get all the good spells,they can be really protected,have Turn Undead and get abilities from both pools.-but this is only my opinion.
Do a search on Aragorn`s story.

Yes, I prefer a half-elf multiclassed R/C over the human dual-class R/C as well, especially if you have ToB.