Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How do Drow fight Elves??? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58643)

Kaleban 11-03-2001 07:28 PM

According to nearly every item description, the "master" Drow armorers and weaponsmiths cleverly weave adamantite into their equipment.

So when fighting near "boreholes" where Drow apparently perform surface raids, wouldn't all of their equipment basically disintegrate? Leaving them weapon and armorless?

I highly doubt that every Drow Elf carries around one full set of Adamantite armor and equipment, and another one of normal steel (I don't care what your weight limit is, it is not conceivable due to the bulk to carry around that much!), and given the stories we read in books or on-line concerning them, can we honestly expect the blood-thirsty Drow to ask for a "time-out" while they switch to their other equipment???

I realize that BG characters, given a Girdle of Fire Giant Strength could carry 16 suits of Full-Plate if they wanted, and the inconsistency has occurred to me. I intend this question of paradox to apply to the actual world and stories that we read about.

andrewas 11-03-2001 07:37 PM

this is simple to resolve. you have to underrstand, its not just a drow goes out for a stroll and decides to raid the surface on impulse, they are planned raids. so they take items that can stand the sun with them on a raid.

or perhaps their preistesses can cast a pell that can protect their equipment for a short time?

Sir Jorlon 11-03-2001 07:38 PM

Very true, but then again, when you kill them, they drop elven chain. That might be the reason, I'm not sure. But very good point, i guess Black Isle just does it for the game.

250 11-03-2001 07:56 PM

they raid at NIGHT, leave before dawn

also, they have spells such as "anti-gravity" or "anti-magnetism" :D :D :D

Legolas 11-03-2001 09:21 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DM of FAoIW:
they raid at NIGHT, leave before dawn

also, they have spells such as "anti-gravity" or "anti-magnetism" :D :D :D
<hr></blockquote>

That's RIGHT ;) the stuff doesn't disintigrate because there's no sunlight. That's why they don't fight battles at the surface but only do raids. Hit and run before the sun comes up.

Simple, isn't it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kaleban 11-03-2001 10:37 PM

Assuming you guys are right about night raids, you do fail to take one thing into account: the Drow's extremely war-like nature.

A race such as the Drow does not garner a reputation of fear without a reason, and hitting caravans at night really isn't going to do it.

Eventually, they will have to make WAR, and when that happens, their vaunted "clever craft" will serve to be their undoing.

Sir Jorlon 11-03-2001 10:59 PM

You are very true. I guess black isle just does it. Hey, no game is perfect right. So, i guess they all mess up.

Lifetime 11-04-2001 12:22 AM

The entire Drow culture is not about war. It is about subterfuge, deception, and overwhelming force when nobody's looking.
The Drow houses do not make WAR upon one another. The make calculated RAIDS upon other houses and ensure that nobody remains alive to tell the tale. The send out RAIDING parties to patrol their borders and kill intruders. Most of the time, the Drow are the ones defending their realm from invasions of the surface elves. So they have a violent culture, but not a war-like one. The orcs are warlike, maybe some other minor races, but the Drow most definately prize stealth, deception and speed above taking and holding ground. They are raiders, pirates and bandits, never staying to do battle with stronger forces. There's your answer right there. What happens when they go to war and their weapons desintegrate? They dont! They run and hide, avoiding protracted engagements.

250 11-04-2001 01:38 AM

Lifetime is right

the entire drow culture is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT about war, nope, not about war

it is about self indulgent, getting ahead at other's expanse, putting oneself above the rest

therefore, if war means great gain of power and abilities, then war is the best choice

on the other hand, if war means stupidly lose, then why war?

drow dont seek for blood, they seek for power

Drifter 11-04-2001 02:25 AM

i've gotta agree with the otheres...

case in point: raid a svirfneblin patrol...they don't make all-out war on the svirfneblin, they just raid 'em.