Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Why has Boston had NO SNOW so far this winter? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96980)

Memnoch 12-20-2006 06:39 AM

Is this unusual? I thought the weather was supposed to be really cold up here. It's been like a Sydney winter so far, 40-50 degrees F. I'm heading overseas to Manila to visit family for the holidays and I've been praying for snow before I go, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What's it been like for other North Americans? What's the winter been like for you lot so far?

johnny 12-20-2006 07:18 AM

You don't actually want it to snow, do you ?

machinehead 12-20-2006 07:20 AM

Yep, this has been the mildest winter (so far) that I can remember, no snow but lots of rain. At least it isn't costing me a fortune to heat my house this year. Don't worry the coldest time of the year is late Jan. and early Feb. so it's coming.

Jorath Calar 12-20-2006 09:54 AM

thats global warming for ya...
been raining in iceland all this week, I remember less than 15 years ago Christmas without snow was unthinkable... [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ 12-20-2006, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]

ElfBane 12-20-2006 10:17 AM

It's warm in Beantown because of the Hot Stove League. The Sox are signing every arm in sight to beat the Yanks!!

Memnoch 12-20-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnny:
You don't actually want it to snow, do you ?
Yes, I do! :(

Memnoch 12-20-2006 11:15 AM

I was in tears when they said the blizzard last week was only in the Midwest...

Cloudbringer 12-20-2006 11:45 AM

Yes, it's unusual, Mems! We've had a few warm/mild winters in a row, but stick around, you'll see a few Nor'easters if you live here long enough!

*makes note to order snow for Boston* :D

Albromor 12-20-2006 01:31 PM

It is called El Nino and when that happens in the Pacific Ocean the Northeast has mild temperatures and rain.

Don't worry, Mem, you'll get snow sometime. besides, December isn't really known for snow per se. Also, and this may sadden you further, since Boston is right next to the ocean the temperatures can often be high enough that the moisture remains rain while just a few miles inland, say 20 miles +, it is all snow.

It is January, February, and March when the storms come and some of the biggest are in March.

And as Cloudy says, Nor'easters will come and when the conditions are right get ready for some serious snow and wind. I have experienced more than I care to count. If one does come and they call for snow do the following:

1. Get to the grocery store and stock up -- BIG TIME.

2. Rent some DVDs; get that PC game you've always wanted to try but never could find the time.

* I was there in '79 when Boston was literally - and I am not making this up - shut down for THREE WHOLE DAYS. Nothing was moving except the national gurd. And then the Victorian A strain flu hit at the same time... Ugh!

Memnoch 12-20-2006 04:52 PM

Well, last year we had our first snow in November at Thanksgiving, then we had a massive snowstorm first week of December and there was heaps of snow around after that. Then it all melted in January because it was so warm!

What's the point of my buying all these cool coats and jackets when I'm never going to get to wear them? :(