Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The OFFICIAL Ironworks Football World Cup Thread --Part II (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79381)

Ar-Cunin 06-11-2002 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Davros:
Well at least Uruguay is out (Davros is an Aussie and they knocked us out - sour grapes :D ).
Davros - I have thought about the Australian situation in regard to quilifying for the World Cup.

Why aren't the Ociania group just 'abolished' and joined with the Asia group - that way Austrilia would get many more competitive matches - and it is possible that the combined groups would get 5 places in the finals.

Asia had 4½ and Ociania had ½ in this qualification.

I don't know if this idea has ever been discussed.

Moiraine 06-11-2002 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
Why aren't the Ociania group just 'abolished' and joined with the Asia group - that way Austrilia would get many more competitive matches - and it is possible that the combined groups would get 5 places in the finals.
Am not sure Austrilia would be thrilled - Australia, now, though, ... :D

Davros 06-11-2002 04:59 AM

The problem Ar-Cunin is that Asia doesn't want us. For the past 8 years we have lobbied to try and get into the Asian qualifying system. The resistance is from Asia, not from FIFA. Four years ago we had our play-off against the last Asian team. This year, with Asia having two hosts and one less qualifying position, they didn't want to have anything to do with us.

I would prefer to see us play in an automatic qualifying group that gave us a chance to get there via 8 or 10 matches. At the moment, we really get a crappy build-up of non-competitive games (sorry - that wasn't meant to stir up our Kiwi cousins) to a single home and away crucible that decides our fate. Every 4 years it comes down to 2 games with bugger all preparation and all the pressure of a nation on them. I don't believe the line that many people at home push about automatic qualification for Oceania. I do think however that we don't get much of a fair go with the current system.

Moiraine 06-11-2002 05:00 AM

Alas poor Brittain, we won't meet you this time ... :D

It IS bouncier with two teas, really. :D

Davros 06-11-2002 05:06 AM

You're sharper than me today Moiraine - then again, my keyboard is fluent in "typo", so I tend to cut other posters a lot of slack when it comes to honest misatkes :D

Ar-Cunin 06-11-2002 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moiraine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:

Am not sure Austrilia would be thrilled - Australia, now, though, ... :D </font>[/QUOTE]One typo - and this is what you get *grumbles*

I'm going to be watching you Moiraine ;)

Donut 06-11-2002 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moiraine:
.... Brittain...
There are NO 'T's in England French woman!!!!

Donut 06-11-2002 09:59 PM

Here we go again, got to be in the pub by 7.30 am.

<font color="red"><H1>Come</H1></font> <font color="white"><H1>on</H1></font> <font color="red"><H1>England</H1></font>

[ 06-11-2002, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Donut ]

Memnoch 06-11-2002 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
FRANCE IS OUT OF THE WORLD CUP!!!

in the first round, goalless and last in their group. first huge surprise of the world cup!

denmark is first and senegal second. now lets just hope we can beat sweden tomorrow and face any of those 2 teams. i fancy our chances against any of them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What a shocker!!! :eek:

Pathetic, poor, disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe their performance. On paper that team would have been worth $$$$$$$$ but in the end the whole was less than the sum of the parts. No creativity in midfield, nobody stood up to be counted among their galaxy of superstars, inability to score despite having the top sc. I'm sure there will be HUGE ramifications for this - Lemerre better polish up his resume. ;)

This has to go down as being one of the most amazing and intriguing Cups ever - a lot of mice have roared. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dundee Slaytern 06-11-2002 11:44 PM

England - Mexico for the finals!