Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   chambers of 8, help needed (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24408)

A'nath 09-19-2002 03:18 PM

Ok, im stuck (happends now and then). Cgamber N:o 3 i giwing me a headache, i just cannot figure out what to do. Its the chamber of sourcery with qrystal monks using nasty lightning to kill my poor character. Sometimes they become hit by lightning and respawn, but i don't know how to use the panels to defeat them. Im tired and im gonna feel really stooped when some gold-hearted persom tells me how to beat them.

Thanks in advance

Luvian 09-19-2002 03:40 PM

The goal is simply to kill them.

All the symbols on the ground are spells icon, so I assume that standing on them give you the appropriate effect. So I suggest you stand on the lightning one, as it look like protection from lightning.

Personally, I just killed them using my paladin.

Magness 09-20-2002 09:39 PM

I wrote up a little walkthrough for the monk challenges on another board.

FYI, I use a different handle on that board.

http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums...threadid=59768

Luvian 09-21-2002 02:24 AM

Quote:

Chamber #4 "clockwork" monks.

Summon a monster to keep the monks busy. Summon a 2nd one to really kill them. When a monk is nearly dead, a timer ticks down until he blows up. Run to the pedestal in the NW corner of the room. Standing on that pedastal (near where the weapons are hidden) protects you from their fire damage.

Kill all the monks.
This part is wrong. When the timer start, a switch will appear somewhere on the room. Using it will instantly kill the monk and disable the timer. You can know where the switch is by watching the small visual effect they show when the timer start.

That is what they meant when they said you could use the room to your advantage.

Magness 09-21-2002 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Luvian:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Chamber #4 "clockwork" monks.

Summon a monster to keep the monks busy. Summon a 2nd one to really kill them. When a monk is nearly dead, a timer ticks down until he blows up. Run to the pedestal in the NW corner of the room. Standing on that pedastal (near where the weapons are hidden) protects you from their fire damage.

Kill all the monks.

This part is wrong. When the timer start, a switch will appear somewhere on the room. Using it will instantly kill the monk and disable the timer. You can know where the switch is by watching the small visual effect they show when the timer start.

That is what they meant when they said you could use the room to your advantage.
</font>[/QUOTE]Luvian, there's nothing "wrong" in what I stated. I was not aware that there was any clock-stopping switch and have not seen it mentioned in the other forum.

Regardless, I got thru that room without any serious damage following the advice I wrote above. Heck, I used the room to my advantage by standing on the pedestal that gave my cleric fire resistance.

petester 09-21-2002 11:21 AM

If you get really stuck like I did originally then here is an option. (I had a lv 9 rogue & needed a level 10 to get the "improved evasion" skill - a lot easier to pass the 8th room with the fire)

You simply pickpocket the head monk honcho. He has the key for the door in the basement. You can then come back to finish it should you desire (& if you haven't pissed off the golems...)

Grishnakh 09-21-2002 04:32 PM

The Monk chanllenges are very simlpe if you have a monk in your party. I had one so I didn't have any problems with any of the chambers. Only number 8 was a little more difficult due to the hard enemies.
The sorcery chamber is very strange I didn't figure out if there was any trick in defeating it, just siply hit your foes with everything you got and that can make some damage. If you have a monk or a rogue with Improved Evasion and that can do some damage thigs get pretty simple.

Luvian 09-21-2002 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Magness:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Luvian:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Chamber #4 "clockwork" monks.

Kill all the monks.

</font>[/QUOTE]Luvian, there's nothing "wrong" in what I stated. I was not aware that there was any clock-stopping switch and have not seen it mentioned in the other forum.

Regardless, I got thru that room without any serious damage following the advice I wrote above. Heck, I used the room to my advantage by standing on the pedestal that gave my cleric fire resistance.
</font>[/QUOTE]You are right, your advice is not wrong, I might have used the wrong word. What I meant to say is that it is not the "official" way to solve this room. I pointed it out because, like you said, no one seem to know about it.

Cloudbringer 11-03-2002 02:51 PM

I used my cleric of oghma for chambers 3-7 and she alternated summoning critters with healing herself as needed. Chamber 8 was tough until I decided to take a hint I saw in another thread and send my wizard.

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

Had my wizard cast Mirror Image immediately, then called a fire elemental across the room and moved a little to be out of flamestrike , he had to cast Mirror image again, then called a second fire elemental, cast mirror image a 3rd time and then otiluke's sphere on himself. We sat and watched the elementals do in the brass monks, then waited for the sphere to collapse.

Balhifet 11-04-2002 07:45 AM

Oh well, the two gaming gods are at it again. Brainstorming all the new comers.