Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why lawful good ISNT always the best to take... for good allignmets (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8178)

Calaethis Dragonsbane 06-12-2002 02:17 PM

Why lawful good isnt always the best to take... for good allignmets
Lawful good isnt always the best to take BECAUSE it says a char that follows the law, right, but sometimes laws are wrong, and/or flaw'd. anyone here agree with me?

[ 06-12-2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]

Helspanth 06-12-2002 02:31 PM

I don't agree.I think that NG is the most "good" alignment for use with a good character.

Calaethis Dragonsbane 06-12-2002 02:43 PM

DAMNATION AND HELL! sorry at myself not at you guys; I always seem to leave out the negitives; what I meant to say WAS "ISNT THE BEST TO TAKE" Ill edit it.

Helspanth 06-12-2002 02:47 PM

LOL Calaethis!
Anyway again I disagree! :D
IMHO CG is the one to avoid!

Calaethis Dragonsbane 06-12-2002 02:49 PM

hahaha, yes well, I aviod CG too... too erratic... minsc is a perfect example...

Sazerac 06-12-2002 03:04 PM

I disagree. Chaotic good is a VERY fun alignment. I usually play that, although my own tendency is toward Neutral Good.

You must remember, that Lawful Good and Chaotic Good both are extremes, and as such, will produce dilemmas for the character. Same with lawful and chaotic evil.

-Sazerac

Xero279 06-12-2002 03:07 PM

i prefer to stick with chaotic neutral :D

Sir Exxon 06-12-2002 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sazerac:
I disagree. Chaotic good is a VERY fun alignment. I usually play that, although my own tendency is toward Neutral Good.

-Sazerac

<font color="gold">Hear hear! Sazerac's thoughts are mine exactly. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Chaotic Good is the best Good-alignment, IMO. You are still a good character, who tries to follow laws, but who mainly acts in the name of good. E.g. a Lawful Good always follows the law, because that's the only right thing for him, while the Chaotic Good characters strives to prevail the good, even if it meens that they'll have to brake a law or two. [img]smile.gif[/img] Much better, IMO. ;) </font>

Sazerac 06-12-2002 03:16 PM

That's exactly how I feel about it, Sir Exxon!

Oh, and on thieves...the only good alignment I could imagine for a thief would be "Chaotic Good"...I have no idea why "Neutral Good" is an option, unless the thief would only use his/her skills for information gathering and rescue; i.e., espionage. Call me a 1st Edition AD&D junkie, but I much preferred it when assassins could only be of Evil alignment, and thieves could only be either neutral or evil...it made more sense that way.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

Wynne 06-12-2002 04:13 PM

NG and CG thieves are very possible. NG characters believe in helping others and doing good deeds, but they steal from anyone who doesn't need their money and don't care about the law. CG characters would likely hate the law and cheer when the law is foiled, because even if it's good, it's still interference with people's freedom.

IMO, Neutral Good is the mostly purely good alignment. Lawful Good characters bother about politics and rules which sometimes interfere with what is right. Chaotic Good characters do the same, although in a different way--they are always trying to bring down civilization, except when it's good, in which case they grudgingly tolerate it. Neutral Good characters, however, have no restrictions--all they care about is what is right, law be blessed or law be condemned. Nothing gets in the way of their good.