Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mind Flayers (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15490)

DapperDanMan 06-28-2004 03:05 PM

spoilers maybe
Why are they(flayers) so freaking hard to kill, and why can they instantly kill you? It's hardly fair, one minute you have full health and the next you are dead on the floor. Any ways that I can NOT die instantly from them? Any help would be great.

[ 06-28-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: DapperDanMan ]

philip 06-28-2004 03:19 PM

They drain your INT, as far as I know they don't have any insta-kill abilities/spells unless you have really low INT. You could try drinking INT potions and using summons to keep the flayers away while you hit them ranged. You could also use ranged weapons and run away from them before they reach you.

Feral 06-28-2004 03:28 PM

It's not insta-kill (depending on your intelligence, I suppose). Each successful hit temporarily drains your intelligence by 5. When it gets to 0, you're dead. Low AC helps.

One way to fight the illithid is to build a wall of something between you and them. They can't drain you if they can't hit you. Summons are a good option. I've heard people have had good luck with using someone surrounded by Otiluke's Resillient Sphere as a barricade - I've never tried it.

Area of effect spells also help, although the flayers are very magic resistant.

It's good (=crucial) to protect your party members against the psionic blast, otherwise half of you will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off while the other half are getting their brains sucked out. Use chaotic commands.

Tell us what your party makeup is (including levels) and we can help you more.

[ 06-28-2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Feral ]

DapperDanMan 06-28-2004 04:41 PM

well its just every time I go throgh the game, they always piss me off, and I end up using all of my summon spells to fend them off, then having to rest alot. I guess it's just a slow process. Is there anything that can completely shield you from their INT drain?

Black Baron 06-28-2004 04:49 PM

Summon 5 sceleton warriors and haste them. You will smash brain suckers in no time. Mordy swords are also great.

Protection from magical weapons helps too. Put a mage with chaotic commands on him and PFMW. Stupid Flayers will attack him, so just whack at them with your fighter.

DapperDanMan 06-28-2004 06:37 PM

thanks guys, I'll go try

Illumina Drathiran'ar 06-28-2004 08:26 PM

Well... you don't become one of the dominant races in the Underdark by being nice, you know? It's realistic, maybe even toned down... In PnP, all a mind flayer has to do is get a tentacle on a player's head and it's all over.

SixOfSpades 06-29-2004 09:50 PM

Most important: Do NOT let any character get Stunned by their Psionic Blasts. They will immediately make a beeline for the Stunned character (ignoring all threats to their own well-being), and since all attacks against a Stunned creature automatically hit, that party member is pretty much already dead. (In fact, ALL of the enemies in the game are smart enough to go after helpless people.)

Saving Throws. Saving Throws. Saving Throws.

Kay 06-30-2004 10:39 AM

Philip is right...the potions help. As for summoning (okay this is a lame, wimpy tactic, but I HATE mind flayers), I memorize two or more Mordenkainen's sword spells, keep the rest of my part at a distance, and let the disembodied weapon take care of business. Also, miniSPOILER:
there is an amulet later in the game that offers temporary protection. Of course, you have to kill a lot of mind flayers to get it...

Xen 06-30-2004 10:46 AM

Also if you have a Cleric then by any means cast Chaotic Commands!