Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   battlesquare in ice castle question (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25684)

SpongeBobTheDestoyer 05-21-2004 01:57 AM

Minor spoilers maybe
I've beaten all three high priestesses, cleared out the castle and had the neverwinter guy remove the glacier. I did not complete the battle square fights though. This is my first time playing the game and I'm playing on normal. I'm at around level 10 and I'm not going to mention the rank I stopped at, figuring the next would be too hard. [img]smile.gif[/img] My dwarven fighter has pretty much taken on the balance. So I have three ?'s. Should I be able to complete all 9 ranks at this level? Will I have a chance to come back later if I leave? Am I missing out on any super duper items upon completion?

Gimli 05-21-2004 06:11 AM

You can go back when you're a higher level, I think you just can't go past the underdark area if you want to return. And yes there are some nice items as rewards [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bozos of Bones 05-21-2004 05:04 PM

Not some nice items, the best short sword in the game, and a 9th lv spell. You can come back here before you experience a ... fiery temporal disruption(trying not to let out too much but to still make it recognizable when you get there)

SpongeBobTheDestoyer 05-22-2004 01:34 AM

Then like the governor of Cali says - "I'll be back!"

And thanks for the info BTW.

Spiff 05-22-2004 02:47 PM

There is also a very useful club at one of the middleish levels. I'd recommend trying to get that at least before you go past the underdark if not sooner. You'll have to wait a while to come back and pick it up otherwise.

wellard 05-29-2004 10:36 AM

Do you just have to win 3 squares in a row per each rank? or 5 or 7. The instructions are not so clear.

Bozos of Bones 05-29-2004 12:54 PM

All ranks for the level completion, meaning ranks 1-5 with 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 squares. Good luck!

CerebroDragon 05-29-2004 02:36 PM

Whilst battling my way through to the end of the second rank, I suffered my first game crash. Some kind of assertion failure. :mad:
Downloading the patch now as a result.
Oh well, we learn by experience. :D
Hopefully doing this doesn't affect the game negatively since I'm already near the end of chapter 2.

Although there is still one more room I haven't gained access to yet, on level 2. Its the one with the tree symbol etched on the door. Otherwise, I think I've done everything else....not sure. Freing the Abishai was an interesting sidequest...wonder if they'll reappear during the game.

After the patch is done, I might just go back to Oswald, buy a veritable crapload of healing, then head back to the battlesquare and see how many ranks I can beat....

[ 05-29-2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]

Bozos of Bones 05-29-2004 06:35 PM

The tree simbol is enough of a hint for you to get into that room. Good luck with battling the 250+ battles of sqares [img]smile.gif[/img]

CerebroDragon 05-30-2004 03:32 AM

Well its obvious that the symbol is a clue, but still I haven't figured it out yet. ;)

I'm going to leave the Ice Temple and come back when I've a bit more xp to finish up the BattleSquares.

I made it to Rank 5, but the monsters are now getting tough enough that I can't defeat them in 60 seconds. I gained a couple of average items from the previous ranks - are they random or set rewards?

Also, it seems to be more natural to use fighters, but I wonder how far one could make it through the ranks with only a mage? [img]smile.gif[/img]