Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Windows 7- marked for beta release Friday... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100338)

Firestormalpha 01-07-2009 11:57 PM

Windows 7- marked for beta release Friday...

at least if I've read the article correctly.

V- Full Article thru link -V
Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 is nearly final

Quote:

Beta test version will be available Friday for regular PC users to download
LAS VEGAS - Microsoft Corp.'s next version of the Windows operating system is almost ready for prime time.

That's one message Chief Executive Steve Ballmer delivered on the eve of the official opening of the International Consumer Electronics Show.

The world's largest software maker also disclosed deals to make its Live Search programs the default search engines on more personal computers and mobile phones. And it announced a new version of its Ford Sync in-car technology that folds in the voice-operated directory service TellMe, which Microsoft bought in 2007.

So, anyone thinking of trying it? Is it going to suck like most first releases? And on a more frivilous note, is it just me or does the old guy in the picture look just a little possessed?

Stratos 01-08-2009 11:33 AM

Re: Windows 7- marked for beta release Friday...

Eh, what? They're already releasing a new Windows?

ElfBane 01-08-2009 05:34 PM

Well, the article does seem to indicate that it will be a general release. I don't think MS has done it that way before, though. In the past they have you sign up for Beta releases, and then you get selected on a lottery basis, right? Anyway, they are not paying me enough to do their testing...know what I mean?

Arvon 01-08-2009 05:42 PM

Got enough troubles with Vista. I 'm not going for it till I know it's stable and working (if ever).

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-08-2009 05:47 PM

XP RULES!!!

Firestormalpha 01-08-2009 06:54 PM

Well supposedly it's going to follow the same overall framework of Vista (red flag), but it's supposed to fix some of the areas where complaints were most prevalent. If this is the case I don't know why it wasn't released as a service pack instead of a whole new OS, aside from the $$$ factor.

Arvon 01-08-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestormalpha (Post 1224524)
Well supposedly it's going to follow the same overall framework of Vista (red flag), but it's supposed to fix some of the areas where complaints were most prevalent. If this is the case I don't know why it wasn't released as a service pack instead of a whole new OS, aside from the $$$ factor.

BINGO!!!!!

Hivetyrant 01-08-2009 08:47 PM

I've been using the 7000 build for a little while and I love it.

Then again, I loved Vista, most likely because I was one of the people that actually used it rather than flamming it on the internet because some other windows hating people said it was bad.

Sure it had issues, but XP had more, and look at XP now...

Enough of that though, I'd rather not start an argument. THe Beta should be a great way for them to hopefully approach this release with a more PR friendly launch...

Stratos 01-09-2009 05:21 AM

I thought all Windows version released were Beta version. :D

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-09-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos (Post 1224551)
I thought all Windows version released were Beta version. :D

Good one!