Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anybody ever messed with thermoelectric cooling? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75287)

MILAMBER 05-24-2002 01:53 PM

I'm thinking about getting a peltier. Anybody got any suggestions? How are you dealing with condensation? Are you running a seperate power supply?

MagiK 05-24-2002 01:56 PM

Not in PC's but when I was in the Navy we had severl pieces of gear that were TE-cooled. I assume you are talking about Peltiere devices?

[ 05-24-2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

/)eathKiller 05-24-2002 02:05 PM

i have absolutley no idea what a peltier is...

MILAMBER 05-24-2002 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MagiK:
Not in PC's but when I was in the Navy we had severl pieces of gear that were TE-cooled. I assume you are talking about Peltiere devices?
Yes. It is becoming more common to use a peltier between your cpu and hsf. It is kind of risky, because you need to get an adequately powerful peltier, or you'll burn your chip. Many times you need to use some form of sealant between the cpu and peltier because condensation may form, damaging your motherboard and ultimately frying everything. If these considerations are addressed though, it is a very effective way of cooling your processor far below room temperatures.

MagiK 05-24-2002 02:18 PM

Well all I can say is that they work...but they are power hungry and they are expensive...or were. You really need an alarm or something if you use the internal power supply for this cause your CPU will overheat in a second if the power dies to the device.

MagiK 05-24-2002 02:20 PM

Might I suggest water or liquid cooling? I think it is more reliable and safer than the Peltier's only because they don't have quite as much potential to flash fry your CPU if the power dies.

RudeDawg 05-24-2002 02:21 PM

Here's a practical use for it!
Cool your Coke

MILAMBER 05-24-2002 02:23 PM

I've had water cooling in the past and it's good, but the peltier would get much cooler. We're talking 5C versus 30C. Who knows. I'll probably just stick with my annoyingly loud delta fan on my current hsf.

MagiK 05-24-2002 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I've had water cooling in the past and it's good, but the peltier would get much cooler. We're talking 5C versus 30C. Who knows. I'll probably just stick with my annoyingly loud delta fan on my current hsf.
Well if you REALLY want cool..you could get one of those small deep freezers that get down to like -40f and put your Case in there and drill a hole for the cords [img]smile.gif[/img]

MILAMBER 05-24-2002 02:30 PM

That was great rudedawg! Some people just have too much time on their hands.