Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Racial Level Limits in BG2? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5577)

Soulclaw 01-28-2002 07:10 PM

I just got BG2 and was reading the manual. I don't see any mention of racial level limits, are they not in the game (I hope)?

Soulclaw 01-28-2002 07:35 PM

Never mind, I found it.

Barlik Longbeard 01-29-2002 06:45 AM

I didn't find anything about that and it doesn't seem to effect my gaming too much. What are the racial limit effects?

Ceridan 01-29-2002 07:52 AM

In 2ed AD&D, Demihumans had max levels they could obtain for the different classes to try and balance out the racial advantages they had over humans.
This was taken out completely for BG which is pretty much a good thing considering the levels you can obtain (especially with TOB imagine being stuck with something such as 20th level cleric when humans can reach up to 40th).

Sir Kenyth 01-29-2002 11:45 AM

In P&P D&D, reaching 20th level was a feat rarely acheived fairly. The highest level I ever heard of someone getting fairly was 16th, and he had that mage for years! Most high level spells were used from scrolls and had a specific purpose when found. Horrid wilting could get you out of an impossible jam the DM devised. Remember, celestial beings and greater demons are in the level 25-30 range. I find most of the standard monsters in TOB to be completely unreal in order to try to balance out the insanely high player levels. I mean, level 40 is like in the demi-god range!

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]</p>

QFLASH 01-29-2002 01:02 PM

I had a character in 2e D&D (P&P) that i played for years and eventually attained a high level: 21/21 fighter/psionic. That was a pain in the butt, but i started when i was young and managed to keep the same character alive.

As far as racial limits, we got rid of those. Now in 3e, they aren't a factor due to the balanced game play.....

Ceridan 01-29-2002 01:16 PM

The highest level out party ever reached was levels 10-12(which seemed huge).
Killing an adult dragon has only been done once in years of D&D playing (we then brought the local tavern and mounted her head it) :D
The 40th level example was purely for TOB with its extreme levels but the level restriction was a poor way of balancing out demihumans.
The 3rd ed rules QFLASH are much better as they give good reasons to be any race (including human).

QFLASH 01-29-2002 01:30 PM

Do you play 3e now?

Lucre 01-29-2002 02:51 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I mean, level 40 is like in the demi-god range!

<hr></blockquote>

*COUGH*Child of Baal*COUGH*