Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Want to ride the Dragon? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92857)

VulcanRider 02-01-2005 08:02 AM

There's a road on the North Carolina / Tennessee border known as "The Dragon". It's got 318 curves in 11 miles, and bikers come from all over the country to ride it. This guy strapped a camera to his bike so everyone can enjoy the ride. Warning for dialups -- this video is almost 13 minutes long...

Spirits forever 02-01-2005 05:51 PM

WHOA..i watched the whole deal...
Cool beans

i love the part where the dude does the wheelie..man that was cool

Violet 02-01-2005 06:36 PM

I've been on that road in a Triumph convertible. :D Not as impressive as was a later trip down Catalina Highway in Tucson (down a winding mountain road at high rates of speed - blind corners, edging cliffs - glad we lived to grow up lol).
The motorcycle gives a great perspective of "The Dragon" from its point of view though!
Great road. :D Cool video! Thanks for sharing it here. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 02-01-2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Violet ]

armageddon272 02-01-2005 06:38 PM

Sweet, looks like a thrill ride. They ought to put a map like that on Road Rash.

Ladyzekke 02-01-2005 07:43 PM

Pretty cool. Man that road is pretty insane with the constant left to right turns LOL. I loved it when he got behind the cars and had to slow down. Then bam! out of nowhere he takes em! Same for at the end when another guy on a bike is in front of him, but still not going fast enough as you can hear the guy with the camera downshifting, then.. again, whammo! He just takes him like the other guy was standing still. Whoohoo! :D

Again, pretty cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Violet 02-01-2005 08:57 PM

LOL ladyzekke! Same parts of the video I appreciated most. Something to do with an addiction to adrenalin rushes brought on by danger and speed combined lol.

Hey, I found a video of some motorcycle enthusiast's day ride up the Catalina Highway in Tucson.
I'm not smart enough to link directly to the video lol but here is the page and the link is "The Mt Lemmon Day Ride Video Tour" right after the initial introduction paragraphs. Video is only about 4 minutes long.

http://www.cyclerides.com/rides/dayr...mondayride.htm

Something cool in their stills farther down the page - Scenes from the ride up to Summerhaven - the top right pic shows a stretch of highway from above. If you look behind the 2 ridges in the back on the left side of the pic, you can make out another stretch of road going down into Tucson. It's the same road LOL!

[ 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Violet ]

Ladyzekke 02-01-2005 09:21 PM

That one was also pretty cool Violet, but in a different way. Was very scenic, and I liked the music behind it too. [img]smile.gif[/img] Very beautiful footage along that road.

Violet 02-01-2005 10:09 PM

Yeah, it offers nothing in the way of excitement that "The Dragon" does lol but it is pretty! Steve still kids me about the kung-fu grip I had on the door handle and dash of his Triumph when he took me down the Catalina Hwy at 80+ mph. I still get a rush thinking about it - heh. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cerek 02-02-2005 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by VulcanRider:
There's a road on the North Carolina / Tennessee border known as "The Dragon". It's got 318 curves in 11 miles, and bikers come from all over the country to ride it. This guy strapped a camera to his bike so everyone can enjoy the ride. Warning for dialups -- this video is almost 13 minutes long...
<font color=plum>Well, it definitely took long enough for my dial-up connection to download the video - over 3 hours - but it was an impressive ride.

I don't know how fast the guy was going, but in the parts mentioned by <font color=red>LadyZ</font> and <font color=violet>Violet</font>, he had to be hitting between 80-90mph at least. There were more than a couple of times that I thought he was going to lose it in those DEEP curves - but he held on to it. The dude can definitely handle his bike.

So....how many of you kept turning your heads as he went around the curves? :D </font>

Jotin 02-02-2005 12:46 PM

I turned my head a bit [img]smile.gif[/img]

Very cool video, feeling pretty inspired to go out and get a bike and make my way to ride the dragon