Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Venting on Haer'Dalis & Other Opinions (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58610)

Paxsenarrion 11-03-2001 08:03 AM

Low Spoiler, read on without fear [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've been reading on a lot of different sites that a lot of chick-gamers are annoyed at only having one romance available in SoA... Okay, so I have to agree with that. We should have had at least as many options as the boys, but really, when have you ever seen anything as nifty and complex and in-depth as Anomen's romance? In my PC gaming experience, this was a completely unique facet that has always been missing from dozens of other glittering RPG gems. I think it's an awesome step in the right direction. Actually, it's made me quite the crack-whore for similar gaming experiences, and I can't seem to find any upcoming... even the salvatingly anticipated Newerwinter Nights seems to lack the romantic subplot angle, since the boys at Bioware seem to indicate that the NPCs don't tend to stay with your character long enough for anything so linear or in-depth to develop. This revelation almost disappointed me so badly I reconsidered buying the game... (dude... I said -almost-... I'm not -really- on crack).

Personally, Anomen cracks me up. Like, he's all sweet and wonderful and then you click on his portrait and her snaps, "What is it NOW?!" Hysterical.

Oh, but to Haer'Dalis, as the subject line indicates... The thing that brought all this to mind was chick-gamers (I can say chick, and broad, and whatever else I like because I am one... just before anyone slams me *grin*) saying that they would have preferred a Haer'Dalis romance...

All I can say to that is... WHAT? -Why-?? *lol* Haer'Dalis is not only just as much of a surly bastard as Anomen is (more, I think), but he's a big ■■■■■! Let me say this again for emphasis: ■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■!!! (*Note* I mean this in the PussyCAT sense... really... honest) I can't -tell- you how many potions of extra healing I've had to waste on this idiot in battle... he couldn't hit the side of Andamite Golem with two foot wide plank. I figured I'd keep him around to make Aerie happy, but eventually I got tired of hearing him gasp "*ACK* At last... OBLIVION!" and resurrecting his sorry ass. And his snide little comments "This Sparrow is ready to fly... at your order, of course" and "I dislike being prodded all the time". Oh, gee, I'm sorry, Haer'Dalis... next time I WON'T prod you to run away from the battle and get healed when you have like 2 hit points left. WHAT a JERK. Please, someone tell me what the Haer'Dalis allure is? Someone? Anyone? Bueller?

My final opinion, and probably the least popular, is this... Jahiera: Big Friggin' Deal. I thought she was a pill... stodgy and boring and just playing that 'tough broad with a heart of gold' with painful stiltedness. I kept her in the party my first time through the game because I kept reading all over the 'Net that you MUST not remove her, lose her, cause her to leave, she's critical, yadda yadda. I got along fine without her. Anyone else out there in the 'unimpressed by Jahiera' club?

Okay, this ends my flight of vanity that anyone is probably even remotely interested in my opinions ;) If you did bother reading through this all, I hope you at least found it amusing, and have been sparked to share something in your own right.

Ciao!

Barry the Sprout 11-03-2001 08:19 AM

I advise you to read Dundee Slaytern's comments in an earlier Jaheira thread. His words are particularly... apt...
As for Haer Dalis I think he is fun but you can't put him in the front line. You are right, he just doesn't the AC or HPs for it. But with offensive spin he becomse a bit of a killing machine. Send him in to pick on the defenceless or just use him as a third fighter (every party needs at least two IMO). When the other guys are getting pulped move in Haer Dalis, he hopefully won't get hit much if you move him in later. The enemy will still attack the person they were originally leaving the fragile Teifling to cut things up. Also the ability to cast magic missile in combat should not be underestimated.

But yeah, I prefer Anomen too. I found he was funny just for the things people say to him. Edwin actually got quite moralistic and Jan just took the piss 24/7. And he really kicks ass with the Flail of Ages.

Memnoch 11-03-2001 08:21 AM

I hope you meant ■■■■■ as in wussy. We don't censor people for language here, because we trust you to be mature enough to do the right thing. ;)

Haer'Dalis is pretty useless in BG2 - he can't tank, he can't reach the top echelon of spellcasting, his lore skills are diminished because he's a blade and his bard song does not improve with levels, so he essentially ends up being mediocre at everything. In other words, there are better NPCs out there if you want to specialize in something.

BUT if you take him into ToB, he has the potential to add a lot more value to your group because of three abilities available to him:
  • Enhanced Bard Song (which makes his song like that of a skald and adds +4 to AC, THACO and saves for the entire group and makes them immune to Stun, Charm and Confusion);
  • Use Any Item which allows him to use any item, including 2H swords, wands etc;
  • Assassination, which means that each attack he makes is treated like a backstab, with at least a x5 damage modifier.
These three abilities increase his value by at least 200% IMO. But only if you're willing to put up with him till then.

Galadria 11-03-2001 08:24 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paxsenarrion:

I've been reading on a lot of different sites that a lot of chick-gamers are annoyed at only having one romance available in SoA... Okay, so I have to agree with that. We should have had at least as many options as the boys, but really, when have you ever seen anything as nifty and complex and in-depth as Anomen's romance? In my PC gaming experience, this was a completely unique facet that has always been missing from dozens of other glittering RPG gems. I think it's an awesome step in the right direction. Actually, it's made me quite the crack-whore for similar gaming experiences, and I can't seem to find any upcoming... even the salvatingly anticipated Newerwinter Nights seems to lack the romantic subplot angle, since the boys at Bioware seem to indicate that the NPCs don't tend to stay with your character long enough for anything so linear or in-depth to develop. This revelation almost disappointed me so badly I reconsidered buying the game... (dude... I said -almost-... I'm not -really- on crack).

Personally, Anomen cracks me up. Like, he's all sweet and wonderful and then you click on his portrait and her snaps, "What is it NOW?!" Hysterical.

Oh, but to Haer'Dalis, as the subject line indicates... The thing that brought all this to mind was chick-gamers (I can say chick, and broad, and whatever else I like because I am one... just before anyone slams me *grin*) saying that they would have preferred a Haer'Dalis romance...

All I can say to that is... WHAT? -Why-?? *lol* Haer'Dalis is not only just as much of a surly bastard as Anomen is (more, I think), but he's a big ■■■■■! Let me say this again for emphasis: ■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■!!! (*Note* I mean this in the PussyCAT sense... really... honest) I can't -tell- you how many potions of extra healing I've had to waste on this idiot in battle... he couldn't hit the side of Andamite Golem with two foot wide plank. I figured I'd keep him around to make Aerie happy, but eventually I got tired of hearing him gasp "*ACK* At last... OBLIVION!" and resurrecting his sorry ass. And his snide little comments "This Sparrow is ready to fly... at your order, of course" and "I dislike being prodded all the time". Oh, gee, I'm sorry, Haer'Dalis... next time I WON'T prod you to run away from the battle and get healed when you have like 2 hit points left. WHAT a JERK. Please, someone tell me what the Haer'Dalis allure is? Someone? Anyone? Bueller?

My final opinion, and probably the least popular, is this... Jahiera: Big Friggin' Deal. I thought she was a pill... stodgy and boring and just playing that 'tough broad with a heart of gold' with painful stiltedness. I kept her in the party my first time through the game because I kept reading all over the 'Net that you MUST not remove her, lose her, cause her to leave, she's critical, yadda yadda. I got along fine without her. Anyone else out there in the 'unimpressed by Jahiera' club?

Okay, this ends my flight of vanity that anyone is probably even remotely interested in my opinions ;) If you did bother reading through this all, I hope you at least found it amusing, and have been sparked to share something in your own right.

Ciao!
<hr></blockquote>

Galadria 11-03-2001 08:26 AM

Ciao!
<hr></blockquote>

Sir ReGiN 11-03-2001 08:28 AM

Eeh..Galadria..did you have something to say?

Galadria 11-03-2001 08:28 AM

Ciao!
<hr></blockquote>

Paxsenarrion 11-03-2001 08:30 AM

Perhaps she just finds my opinions so excellent that they should be re-stated.... over and over and over again? ;) j/k!

Memnoch 11-03-2001 08:32 AM

Galadria, if you're quoting, you need to post your comments at the end of whatever you're quoting. ;)

Galadria 11-03-2001 08:50 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Galadria:
[QB][/QB]<hr></blockquote>
I think it is really interesting to read that someone actually liked having a romance with Anomen. I also read with interest your comments on Jahiera. Perhaps I can add a unique perspective. I am a male (straight, if that matters) who has played the game through with both a male and female character. I REALLY hated that Anomen kept hitting on my female mage, and I finally shut him up by insulting his poetry and he stayed in the party and was in at the death. My (Male)paladin is currently having a tepid romance with Jahiera. Jahiera was not in my first party, and we gutted Irenicus like a tuna. I just kept her in my current party for old times sake, and to see what she would say. As for Haer'Dalis, I quite agree that he, like all bards, is worthless. Though I did use him, briefly, in TOB to talk to the Cambion in watcher's keep, mainly to keep Imoen from being beat up. If it is of any interest, my first party was Galadria (my mage), Anomen, Imoen, Nalia, Valygar, and, of course, Minsc and Boo. Now if I could pick any NPC to have a romance with, it would be little Nalia, with her estate in the country, too. ;) But I can live without her: I have my own romance (I'm married)