Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Questions about Soloing (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15658)

Ivelliis 08-15-2004 06:48 AM

After completing the game with a party for the second time I've decided I want to have a go at soloing.
Any reccomendations about classes, races, or any tips or hints?

Stratos 08-15-2004 06:51 AM

A Fighter/Mage/Thief is easy to solo. A Blade is fun to solo. A Ranger/Cleric is powerful. Any versatile class or class combination should do well.

Remember, if you solo you don't have to spread out your equipment, you can use all the juicy stuff yourself. You also level up much quicker.

[ 08-15-2004, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]

Cerek the Barbaric 08-15-2004 09:00 AM

<font color=plum>I chose to use a Skald (Bard kit) as my first solo player. He has some fighting ability, some spells and can Identify any item on sight - which means he can use it right away.

I chose the Skald over the Bladesinger because I felt being +1 with ANY weapon was more beneficial than the temporary advantages of the offensive spin.

A fighter/mage/thief will cover all the skills needed but it will take you a bit longer to level up because your XP is divided among 3 classes. I would recommend just going with a fighter/mage myself. So far, I haven't encountered any seriously deadly traps for my bard (well, except for my quick jaunt through the first level of Watcher's Keep).

A fighter/mage will have much better combat ability than a bard and should have a better selection of spells also. The only real advantage the bard has over the fighter mage is their Lore - which allows them to identify unlimited items almost immediately.

Cleric/rangers are also a very powerful class and can cast "Detect Traps" to make up for the lack of having a thief to do that.

Good luck on your solo attempt. Let us know how it goes.</font>

Xen 08-15-2004 09:45 AM

Go with the Sorcerer. He`s very powerful.

Dundee Slaytern 08-15-2004 10:23 AM

What's your preferred playing style????

JrKASperov 08-15-2004 10:35 AM

If ToB is present, multiclass fighter/thief. Fighting power, thievery and usage of scrolls at ToBlevels! Wickedly evil.

Andraste 08-15-2004 11:46 AM

Sorcerer is generally considered the easiest class to solo. The single class character also maximises the increased levelling up rate. If fact, it is too easy. I gave up my solo sorcerer game, after killing one of the more powerful adversaries by accident (honest - I didn't mean for him to die). However, one good thing about soloing a sorcerer is that it taught me to USE the spells. Before I tried the solo, I was always holding back on my mages' spells, just in case I needed them for the next battle.

[ 08-15-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Andraste ]

Illumina Drathiran'ar 08-15-2004 12:05 PM

I *remember* that story! Oh, that was good.. Adventurers take heed, this one knows what she's talking about.

However, it is possible to make soloing a sorc more difficult if you pick unusual spells or if you don't intimately know the spell system.

"A demon you might be, but you have not seen the power of my spell sequencer filled with Chromatic Orbs!" ((Before you say anything, yes. I know. I know all about Doom and Greater Malison. But this is a solo sorc, and she didn't pick GM.))

"Beware, creatures of the night! I can cast Infravision seven times a day!"

"And now, Irenicus, as you stand nearly dead, I unleash upon you the power of my Prismatic Spray! Have at you! Hey, stop laughing!"

[ 08-15-2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

Stratos 08-15-2004 12:32 PM

Hey, Chromatic Orb can be quite good. ;)

bjorn 08-15-2004 02:14 PM

Especially after GM or Doom!

Sorry Illumina :D