Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   a question for Z man (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71930)

SSJ4Sephiroth 11-08-2001 06:36 PM

ok then. ive often heard you tell about 'permanently banning' someone even when they have the proper utilities to override an IP ban. How is this done? i would like to know since i also run a forum, albiet much smaller than IW, and we have about 4 troublemakers who just won't leave! me and my fellow mods have tried name bas, ip bans, but nothing works! is there a way to keep them off? thanks in advance, even if i dont get help.

Hiram Sedai 11-09-2001 08:59 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
ok then. ive often heard you tell about 'permanently banning' someone even when they have the proper utilities to override an IP ban. How is this done? i would like to know since i also run a forum, albiet much smaller than IW, and we have about 4 troublemakers who just won't leave! me and my fellow mods have tried name bas, ip bans, but nothing works! is there a way to keep them off? thanks in advance, even if i dont get help.<hr></blockquote>

This would be a bump for Judd.

Harkoliar 11-09-2001 09:13 AM

another bump for Z [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch 11-09-2001 10:21 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
ok then. ive often heard you tell about 'permanently banning' someone even when they have the proper utilities to override an IP ban. How is this done? i would like to know since i also run a forum, albiet much smaller than IW, and we have about 4 troublemakers who just won't leave! me and my fellow mods have tried name bas, ip bans, but nothing works! is there a way to keep them off? thanks in advance, even if i dont get help.<hr></blockquote>

Not all forums have the ability to ban by IP. UBBs can ban by IP or in extreme cases, by IP subnet. If your troublemakers are constantly changing IP addresses then it might prove difficult to dislodge them. Best to report them to their ISP (your tracing software should have this facility unless you're using a really basic forum). ;)

Link 11-09-2001 01:02 PM

Also: remember, Seph, that there are indeed programs to get a new IP-number. They could be using that...

Grojlach 11-09-2001 01:10 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Memnoch:

Not all forums have the ability to ban by IP. UBBs can ban by IP or in extreme cases, by IP subnet. If your troublemakers are constantly changing IP addresses then it might prove difficult to dislodge them. Best to report them to their ISP (your tracing software should have this facility unless you're using a really basic forum). ;)
<hr></blockquote>

Exactly. So the question is, what kind of board are you running? UBB? Ikonboard? EZBoard? YaBB (like proboards and xsorbit)?