Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I have a -64 in perception ! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72992)

Jorath Calar 01-14-2002 03:31 AM

I mean I woke up this morning and looked at my watch , which I've had for 2 and a half year now, and noticed something very odd, for the very first time. It has roman numerals and the 4 is IIII not IV like it's supposed to be. I mean you would think after looking at it 100 times a day for 2 and a half year you'd notice that.

I wonder if there is something else that I have not noticed... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Donut 01-14-2002 05:58 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I mean I woke up this morning and looked at my watch , which I've had for 2 and a half year now, and noticed something very odd, for the very first time. It has roman numerals and the 4 is IIII not IV like it's supposed to be. I mean you would think after looking at it 100 times a day for 2 and a half year you'd notice that.

I wonder if there is something else that I have not noticed... [img]smile.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

It's been a bit longer than that. All clocks with roman numerals use IIII instead of IV. The most likely reason is that IV opposite VIII would have spoiled the symmetry of the clock face.

Staralfur 01-14-2002 07:06 AM

LOL - I was going to check my watch, but I seem to have put it somewhere very safe. The fact I've only just realised I haven't seen it for about 4 days is probably not a good sign.

I'll report back when I've found it.

*Goes on pulling draws out and clearing shelves*

Redblueflare 01-14-2002 08:33 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

<hr></blockquote>2 and 1/2 years? I haven't had a watch that's made it past the 6th month mark yet! Just look around you Jorath, there are always things that you don't notice. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jorath Calar 01-14-2002 08:37 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Redblueflare:
2 and 1/2 years? I haven't had a watch that's made it past the 6th month mark yet! Just look around you Jorath, there are always things that you don't notice. [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Well My grandparents gave it to me for christmas and it's very dear to me... but hey that means it's 3 years old... doh!

Sazerac 01-14-2002 03:38 PM

Would you believe that my watch is going to be 21 years old in May? I got it when I graduated high school; it's a Seiko, and it's never given me a day's worth of trouble, except replacing batteries (which I do every 5-6 years, in fact, it's due for a replacement now.)

Heck, that watch is older than a lot of the folk here! :D

-Sazerac