Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dragon Age™ Origins (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Yet to play DA:O but already miffed (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101164)

SecretMaster 11-11-2009 10:58 PM

Yet to play DA:O but already miffed

I'm stuck in the very undesirable position of owning the actual game, yet unable to play due to the fact that I lack a computer to play it on. I'm waiting out this video card shortage debacle, until then no computer to play :(

But anyway, my Collectors Edition came several days ago. I was expecting to spend many hours on the ol' toilet reading up on the manual/game literature as I've done with previous BioWare games (Baldur's Gate, IWD, NWN, etc). But this manual is near worthless. I was extremely surprised, and a little angry at the lackluster manual.

Of course I blame EA for this.

/End rant.

I just had to get it out, this manual is woefully deficient IMO. Of course I doubt the game will disappoint.

Sparhawk 11-12-2009 05:44 AM

Re: Yet to play DA:O but already miffed

The manual is the direct opposite of the game - and since the game has an ingame codex with explanations ( that you pick up from books and scrolls in the world ) then you do actually have the manual - you just have to make it first...did that make any sense to anyone but me?

SecretMaster 11-12-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk (Post 1235298)
The manual is the direct opposite of the game - and since the game has an ingame codex with explanations ( that you pick up from books and scrolls in the world ) then you do actually have the manual - you just have to make it first...did that make any sense to anyone but me?

No it makes sense. I'm well aware of the codex feature, but I guess I'm just old fashioned. I like having big, hefty manual that I can read out of boredom.

SpiritWarrior 11-14-2009 02:41 AM

Yes the manual is skimpy. Still, better to have a low content manual than a low content game. And let me tell you, this game has tons of it.

Chewbacca 11-14-2009 01:07 PM

I feel ya too Secretmaster I also miss the wire bound awesomely thick type manual. I blame the D&Der in me that loves to read and reread over the rules and absorb the content.

I can't compain about DA's manual too much. These days we are lucky to get anything more than a registration card and PDF file.

SW nailed it though, the game's greatness makes up for a smallish manual in droves!

SecretMaster 11-14-2009 01:18 PM

Indeed. I really can't wait to play this game. It's just sitting on my desk. On the other hand, its probably a good thing as once I start playing, it sure will be hard to focus on my studies.

uk_john 11-16-2009 01:29 PM

I got the standard version of the game, which in the UK was £14 ($21) cheaper. I then bought the Collector's Edition Strategy Guide, which was £12, which is hardback with an extra 100 pages (400 in total) for interviews with the developers about the making of the game and full page colour artwork from the game.

The way I saw it was the Collector's Edition had the small artbook and the making of video and the OST. Well I now had the equivalent of a 20 page full size artbook, an 80 page book on the making of and the ability to already go to You Tube and check out the making of video's and the soundtrack songs!

So between the standard edition and the huge strategy guide I feel I have spent my money wisely.

(Bear in mind I am in the UK, where the CE didn't have a tin box or come with the cloth map, like the rest of the world!)