Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 is Out! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92446)

LennonCook 12-07-2004 04:47 PM

Mozilla.org Announcement
Get Thunderbird

Bozos of Bones 12-07-2004 05:44 PM

Yes.
Yes!
YES!!
Anything else in this post is completely unrequired, but I'm gonna post something anyway, to avoid spamming... That's the purpose of that line above.

Xen 12-08-2004 04:14 AM

That's great! I am already using Firefox and previous version of Thuderbird and this news is cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

armageddon272 12-08-2004 10:18 AM

so, before i check out this link, is thunderbird better than firefox? in what ways?

andrewas 12-08-2004 10:34 AM

Not comparable - firefox is a browser, thunderbird is a mail client.

But it beats outlook the same ways firefox beats IE - by being smaller, faster, more stable, and closer to standards.

Bahamut 12-08-2004 11:33 AM

Am using it already. I agree with andrewas. ;)

Lady Sedai 12-08-2004 07:47 PM

Alright! I've just about had it with their damn site!

Hiram and I have clicked all over the place to d/l Thunderbird 1.0, but every time we click anything, it sends us back to the Thunderbird homepage at mozilla.org!

WTF??

We're already using Firefox.

And that link in Lennon's initial post is where we started.

HOW CAN I GET TO THE D/L??

GRRR!!!

wellard 12-08-2004 08:34 PM

G'day Lady Sedai

The link for the download was right at the top of the page, highlited in green. I clicked there and have begun downloading.

One point is that it did not give me an option to download to a file just to a disc or default to the desktop. Not a major problem but it could be better.

After being converted to Firefox by Lennoncook I thought I shall try Thunderbird. I shall give a review in a few days :D

Lady Sedai 12-08-2004 09:39 PM

Thank you, dear. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't know *what* the deal was. We checked that site from BOTH computers, but it never gave us that hugemongous "Download here" button.

Well, at least we have it now. :D

Thanks again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

LennonCook 12-08-2004 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wellard:
One point is that it did not give me an option to download to a file just to a disc or default to the desktop. Not a major problem but it could be better.
<span style="color: lightblue">If I'm understanding you right, that is intended behavior. Firefox won't let it be downloaded to a temp folder and run implicitly. It has to be saved permantly and explicitly run. This is a security feature.

Lady Sedai, that sounds like a random rendering glitch in Firefox. The fact that it happened on both computers is likely coincidence. Else, it could be server side: I wouldn't be surprised if that button dissappears in high traffic in order to keep the server up.