Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dragon Age™ Origins (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   BioWare going Facebooky for DA:O Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101134)

The Kiwi 10-28-2009 11:30 AM

BioWare going Facebooky for DA:O Forum

When Dragon Age: Origins hits the shelves, Bioware will archive their normal type forums (for that game) in favor of the really ugly, juvenile garbage they have started as a "Social" forum. Some few adult participants will start looking for a place where the literacy rate is a lot higher.

I suspect a majority of literate adults will just withdraw from the (DA:O) forum scene instead. Whether or not any potential new Ironworks members might be more generous with their financial support to these forums would, of course, remain to be seen, but a few may show up here.

P. S. Although I also haven't become addicted to anywhere such as what Facebook is, using the analogy was (IMO) a quick way to indicate illiterate, immature, juvenile design standards, color schemes, and atmosphere:

Here is the REAL forum there in its adult form:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=135

Here is the idiot version:

http://social.bioware.com/forum

Ziroc 10-28-2009 03:52 PM

Re: BioWare going Facebooky for DA:O Forum

Good for us then! :) Right? I'm opening the DA:O Forum here Friday, and begin adding the FAQs, Screens and such. I think this finally will be a game to make a Webarea for! (For hints tips and such). It's been a while.. we've had some really bad games lately.. heh!

Kyrvias 10-28-2009 05:02 PM

<font color = mediumspringgreen>Opening up a new forum? Wonderful! Here's hoping we have an influx of mature players that dislike having the same thing posted every 20 seconds :D</font>

Firestormalpha 10-28-2009 05:37 PM

Rest assured you will see duplicate thread postings within the first 20 minutes :P

SpiritWarrior 10-28-2009 06:17 PM

I dunno, the more I see of this game the more I start to wonder. It seems quite dumbed down due to it being on consoles, almost like Oblivion was. You know, everything can be accessed via one of three buttons etc. Streamlining is nice, but consoling is not since we end up with what feels like a port to PC.

Also, the graphics are a bit too dark for my liking, and the whole mood is very grey/bland. Maybe i'm totally wrong, as i'm judging from short snippets of gameplay and cutscenes but I amn't getting *too* excited until I play it and see. Even if the above points are true, if the gameplay is fun and rewarding it won't matter.

Chewbacca 10-28-2009 07:05 PM

I haven't looked or posted much around there since the year after hotu came out and I don't use facebook so I'm not sure what is meant by "facebooky". Care to elaborate?

And are all the old bioware forums going dinosaur?

Chewbacca 10-28-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior (Post 1234971)
I dunno, the more I see of this game the more I start to wonder. It seems quite dumbed down due to it being on consoles, almost like Oblivion was. You know, everything can be accessed via one of three buttons etc. Streamlining is nice, but consoling is not since we end up with what feels like a port to PC.

Also, the graphics are a bit too dark for my liking, and the whole mood is very grey/bland. Maybe i'm totally wrong, as i'm judging from short snippets of gameplay and cutscenes but I amn't getting *too* excited until I play it and see. Even if the above points are true, if the gameplay is fun and rewarding it won't matter.

Some great and innvoated roleplaying games were born on consoles, so it's wouldn't set any precedent for DA:O to have depth and be a console game. There is also the benefit of modern console power. I know it's gonna look baller and run smooth on my PS3 vs my 3 year old vista machine with a passable GPU. Makes me wonder if there is a mouse and keyboard option to play it on the consoles...?

The Kiwi 10-28-2009 09:27 PM

Re: BioWare going "Facebooky" for DA:O Forum

I've added links to my opening remarks for both the forum being locked, and the childish version that Bioware expects everyone to use after November 3rd.

There are four current pre-release DA:O forums based on the existing forum software used there at Bioware; TTBOMK, all four will be locked. That is the SOP that they have followed for quite some time. For that matter, the current forum isn't the same as the one that existed throughout most of the development period for the game. That one was put out to pasture about a year ago, I think.

If any other forums on their sites are likely to get this same dumbing-down routine, there has been no announcement to that effect.

Ziroc 10-29-2009 03:13 AM

I think Dragon Age will be a huge seller and be a great RPG. The NPC characters you meet are SO much like Baldurs Gate 2--the 'realistic' feeling of them being living and breathing people. There's even romance in the game! :)

The ONLY thing I was disappointed in was that there is no multiplayer. I was hoping to remake my Undermountain Mod with the new amazing toolset that comes with Dragon Age and host a multiplayer server... But I may make a mod for download instead.. we'll see. This toolset looks really fun to use, and much easier than NWN2's I believe.

It's been ages since a good RPG has come around, and I think Dragon Age is worth a purchase! (my Birthday was Oct 21st, and I got $50 gift card to EB, so I'm getting it with that!) :D

Can't wait. I was at a friends and played Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and WOW, that was actually fun.. A bit scripted, but really a fun adventure/action game.. (A bit too much shooting though) gets tedious.

wellard 10-29-2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziroc (Post 1234968)
Good for us then! :) Right? I'm opening the DA:O Forum here Friday, and begin adding the FAQs, Screens and such. I think this finally will be a game to make a Webarea for! (For hints tips and such). It's been a while.. we've had some really bad games lately.. heh!

About bloody time :)

We need the influx a new game site brings to liven up the forum generally. I would hate to have to get nekkid again to attract visitors :heee: