Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   leveling (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62548)

Alannon 07-13-2002 06:24 PM

How does your character level up

AliCat 07-13-2002 06:51 PM

First of all, check the book that comes with the game -- the information is in there and pretty readable.

That said... we now presume you don't have the book. It mentions: "Increasing your level is dependent on improving the major and minor skills associated with your class. In order to raise your level, you must improve any combination of your major or minor skills by a total of 10 points." If you hold the cursor over the Level section of your stats menu, it will show you how close you are to going up a level.

Now, assuming you either get the message that you should rest or you've checked and know you are ready to level up, sleep somewhere for at least eight hours, and you will get the screen about your next level and how you can increase certain attributes.

To backtrack a moment, you have three ways of increasing your skills (just because, or to level up): use the skill repeatedly, buy the training from someone, or get a skill point from reading a special book. If you haven't discovered this, you can click on and read books just about anywhere without taking them (and being accused of theft, if you're in a store).

Hope all that helps!

Ajia Mal'Kreig 07-16-2002 02:54 PM

Couple of Notes:

For the Level Up to Occur-
You only need to rest for an hour or more vice 8+.
You cannot be disturbed/awoken from the rest. Must finish specified period.

PS regarding stat bonuses at level up:
Books-
Only count towards stat multipier for major and minor skills. (Pre and Post Patched versions)

Training-
Counts towards multiplier for major/minor/misc skills trained in (patched version). Unpatched - Only adds to multiplier for major and minor skills trained in.

Kakero 07-16-2002 10:07 PM

Quote:

Counts towards multiplier for major/minor/misc skills trained in (patched version).
Misc skill can now give you multiplier? that's interesting. so which mean major and minor skill is now not important anymore.

Ajia Mal'Kreig 07-17-2002 11:26 AM

Major and Minor still require less "success" results than misc skills.

So if you use cantrips for magic skill raising because you are too poor/stuborn about the whole self-taught concept, you will need to suceed 51 times to go from 50 to 51 versus around 20 "success" results for a major/minor.

PS: I have not worked out the ratio for major/minor yet since I have only used my cantrips for a missing point or two to move up a level in an area I can expect to sleep undisturbed for an hour [img]smile.gif[/img]