Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone like Loreena McKennitt? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84006)

Yorick 02-01-2003 01:06 PM

A Candian Celtic singer. Incredible. I've got three or four albums of hers, but she popped up on my 'launch' radio station. Beautiful music.

Lately I've gone from Nine Inch Nails to Loreena McKennitt. Chalk and Cheese. :D

Anyway, anyone esle into her music?

She has a song with a lyric about "my brother Hugh". Only time I've heard my name in song.

Actually what am I saying? My name is all through hit songs.

"I was meant for Hugh" - Jewel
"I will always love Hugh" - Whitney Houston

etc etc. :D

So back on topic. Celtic music... ah. Looking out the window at grey skies, drizzle, a chill wind and cold weather. Makes a lot of sense listening to Celtic music with this backdrop. THe last time I was listening to McKennit I think it was summer in Oz, the sky was bright blue, and I could smell sea salt in the cooling breeze coming through the windows.

Gabrielles blades 02-01-2003 01:13 PM

i love her stuff too:)
sarah maclauglin(sp?) is good too for that style of music

Dreamer128 02-01-2003 02:58 PM

We have several of her CD's..
Very good [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ziroc 02-01-2003 03:21 PM

I've played one of her songs-- 'Mummers Dance' on IW Radio! It's one of my favorites! I love Celtic music Yorick!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Leonis 02-01-2003 10:30 PM

I have 'the book of secrets'. (with The Mummers' Dance on it [img]smile.gif[/img] )

I heard 'Marco Polo' in a shop in Byron Bay and asked what it was, went next door to a record store and bought it. Funnily Yorick, your last time description is how I was first, and am now, listening to it. Reminds me of Byron holidays. :D

Cloudbringer 02-01-2003 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yorick:
A Candian Celtic singer. Incredible. I've got three or four albums of hers, but she popped up on my 'launch' radio station. Beautiful music.

Lately I've gone from Nine Inch Nails to Loreena McKennitt. Chalk and Cheese. :D

Anyway, anyone esle into her music?

She has a song with a lyric about "my brother Hugh". Only time I've heard my name in song.

Actually what am I saying? My name is all through hit songs.

"I was meant for Hugh" - Jewel
"I will always love Hugh" - Whitney Houston

etc etc. :D

So back on topic. Celtic music... ah. Looking out the window at grey skies, drizzle, a chill wind and cold weather. Makes a lot of sense listening to Celtic music with this backdrop. THe last time I was listening to McKennit I think it was summer in Oz, the sky was bright blue, and I could smell sea salt in the cooling breeze coming through the windows.

You know I do! I own most of her CD's and absolutely love most of the songs on them! Great stuff!

Leonis, I love the Marco Polo, but Night Ride Across the Caucus is incredibly haunting... Have you heard any other albums she's done? If you haven't listened to Mask and the Mirror or if you like more tradtional Celtic music (albeit not entirely so!) try Elemental!

I bought a 'Christmas' album called "A Winter Garden: Five songs for the season" last year and it's quite good. In fact there isn't much she's done that I don't like in some way or other! :D

Hugh's "Hugh" song is "The Bonny Swans", a very poignant ballad on The Mask and the Mirror.

Anyway, try everthing you find of hers- I've also got The Visit which has a fantastic version of Tennyson's 'The Lady of Shallot' done to music. I think you'll like it! :D

Leonis 02-01-2003 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
...Night Ride Across the Caucus is incredibly haunting... :D
The thread inspired me to put the album on, and I'm listening to that song as I read/reply! Wonderous. :D
I don't own any others, have heard one or two other songs, but I will have more. Oh yes, I will have more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I really appreciate how she's delved into the roots of celtic musical traditions - not gone the easy cliche option.

I've studied Indian classical music, and love it as well as much music from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the middle east. I amazed at how much the different styles crossed over and intertwined and influenced each other - long before TV, radios and internet!

I heard a bagpiping busker the other day playing songs that sounded ancient. Not your usual bag of tricks for a saturday shopping busker - it was beautifully haunting.

Just yesterday I heard two aboriginal buskers in trad dress and markings - one playing didjeridoo, one singing and playing rhythm stick. I was transfixed as they too, were not doing the usual 'play for the tourists' vibe but performing a most eerie and melancholic piece. It gave me goosebumps. And I heard in it, the pain and sorrow of tribal peoples the world over - there was a discernable link I could 'see' between their music and many others. I felt like I was in a trance. Amazing.

Cloudbringer 02-01-2003 11:08 PM

Lorena's music is my 'sit and think' music, my alone and meditate or pray music and sometimes nowadays, I'll let Nacht listen too. ;) LOL Really though, I've loved her music since I first heard the Mummer's Dance and started actively looking for more.

Memnoch 02-02-2003 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Leonis, I love the Marco Polo, but Night Ride Across the Caucus is incredibly haunting... Have you heard any other albums she's done? If you haven't listened to Mask and the Mirror or if you like more tradtional Celtic music (albeit not entirely so!) try Elemental!

Night Ride Across The Caucasus is awesome for mood music. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cloudbringer 02-02-2003 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Memnoch:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Night Ride Across The Caucasus is awesome for mood music. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]Definitely!!! I really love that whole cd for just setting the mood.

I used to listen to Mask and the Mirror alot when posting on the old blueboard, though!